• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

76 automatic noise from tranny area

work765

Hi, im trying to help a friend out. I just drove her automatic, and it makes almost like a slight grinding noise(once warm) on acceleration. It will change gears smooth the whole time and drive normal.. But there is this almost like a tiny grind noise.. its louder and longer if you get on the gas harder.

I drive a manual stick, and I know nothing about automatics... So i dont really know if its the tranny or transfer case or what?

also there is no noise when just idling and reving the motor.. Its only there when in gear and moving.

My original thought when i heard the noise, was a bad snychro.. but then i drove it.. and felt that it shifted perfectly.. and the noise mainly came on, when i got on the gas and accelerated a bit harder..

Anyone have any suggestions where to start?

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
could it be a ujoint? A bad ujoint will make more noise undo heavier load.

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
I would check U joints, try it in 4H or 4L or check the rear diff, noises like that can transfer through connected components and throw you off

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, X2 on the advice. I would wiggle the transfer case shifter. Grease and check the U joints, and make sure the front hubs are un locked. Good luck

OP
OP
W

work765

Awesome! Thanks everyone. I'll check that stuff out and report back. I'm hoping its something easy and not her tranny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I had a bit of noise too when I had the C4. I can't blame the tranny though, since I could wiggle the "J" shifter and the sound would go away. It was like the gears were spinning against the shift fork.
This went away when I switched to a manual tranny and to the twin stick shifter arrangement.