• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

76 Bronco VIN in glove one digit off from frame

Skunkybud

Loc.
Coors Country
Not sure if this is unusual or not but the VIN on my glove and door is 77177 and on the frame is 76177. Any ideas to why this would be? Thanks for your help.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Incorrect stamping or misreading of a frame vin has been known to happen

Last edited:

kyle

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It happens. I had one with transposed numbers.

suckerpunched

which one of the two matches the title? hopefully the one on the frame. You can get a replacement tag made for the glove box door that matches the frame from Kevin Marti. If it concerns you.

kyle

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Like said above unfortunately mine was titled to the data tag.

T-Bird

Loc.
East TN
My sons 77 has one number digit off also...probably a Monday or Friday production.

Summersea

I have a ‘66 frame with two consecutive numbers (851082 and 851083) stamped adjacent on the frame. The higher number has the “star” and the “V” stamped at the beginning and end and it also matches the title VIN. Somehow I get the feeling that the “stamping VIN’s on the frames job” was an entry level position.

ared77

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ford used to hand stamp the last six digits of the VIN on the block of some of their high performance cars. On Boss 302 Mustangs, for example, it was stamped on a flat pad just behind the rear of the aluminum intake manifold. It's very well know among the Boss crowd that because these were hand stamped there were sometimes mistakes. Pretty common to find partial VIN's, or ones were a number is off by one, etc. I've heard of times when a missing digit appeared after a block was out of the car and the owner really performed a "CSI" like process to try to bring a number out!

If the Bronco frame numbers were stamped by hand I'd imagine there are quite a few out there that may be slightly "off".:)