• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

76 dana 44 into a 69 questions

old bronco

I got a 76 dana 44 complete and I'm planning on replacing the dana 30 with it. I know I gotta use a diff. drive shaft, and I'm kinda stuck using the y steering linkage at the moment, however can I use the dana 30 track bar, or do I hafta drill out the track bar bracket to accept the bigger bolt for the 76 track bar ?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The dana 30 track bar often hits the diff cover, that's why they have a D44 track bar. I am running a D30 track bar in my '69 with a '77 D44, but I have a track bar riser on the axle. This works out great and keeps the track bar clear of the diff cover without using the frame killing, body leaning frame mounted track bar bracket.

I have heard many differnt comments about steering. The only thing I can tel you is that I upgraded to rockproof steering and that combined with the axle riser bracket cured all my funky axle shifting sideways on bumps and bumpsteer problems.

70_Steve

Old Guy
I did the same thing to my 70. I used the d30 track bar. I also did a 2 1/2" suspension lift, and installed the F150 power steering box and a dropped track bar bracket at the same time. For whatever reason, the diffy wound up within 1/4" of being centered, and, even though the D44 diffy is larger, I still used the stock front driveshaft.

I reused my D30 tierod and drag link. Just had the drivers side cut off and threaded ($50), and used a passenger side coupling and tierod end to make up the extra length. I've heard that the tapers are different between the d30 and the y-type D44 tierod and drag link, but mine seemed to bolt up just fine.

ak68

Same thing for me. My 44 bolted right up to the dana 30 tierod etc. I did a measured alignment then some minor adjustments to get it right. I had to fab up the disc brake connectors for the brake lines. This was a good way to get a 44 and discs. Too bad it had a 3.50 diff.