• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

'76 - Problem Starting in P

Farrell Martin

Loc.
Marietta, GA
I have just taken delivery of my Bronco and have my first maintenance item. The truck, on occassion, will not start in P (it is an Automatic...). If I put it in N it will start fine. I am ordering various shop manuals for the rig, but until they arrive, I was hoping someone could give me some pointers on how to go about fixing this. I assume there is a safety switch somewhere that needs to be addredded.

Thanks in advance for any feedback - Farrell

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Check the linkage bushing(s?). They get worn, and it may not go fully into park. Not fully in park, neutral switch won't start, may roll away.

Justafordguy

Bronco Guru
X2, you can also adjust the neutral safety switch if needed but make sure it's fully in park first.

70_Steve

Old Guy
I have just taken delivery of my Bronco and have my first maintenance item. The truck, on occassion, will not start in P (it is an Automatic...). If I put it in N it will start fine. I am ordering various shop manuals for the rig, but until they arrive, I was hoping someone could give me some pointers on how to go about fixing this. I assume there is a safety switch somewhere that needs to be addredded.

Thanks in advance for any feedback - Farrell
As the others have mentioned, it's probably an adjustment, or excessive play in the shift linkage that's not putting the Neutral Safety Switch (NSS) in the proper position when the shifter is in park. The NSS is located on the side of the transmission, and is also the Reverse Light switch.

Fairlane514

Loc.
Houston
Try jiggling the gear selector arm while in "park" and see if it will start. Or just hold it up and see if that does anything. Could be the collar needs adjustment.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Block the wheels and set the parking brake. Loosen the linkage nut on the trans lever so the linkage rod can move freely. Move the trans lever to the neutral position. That's 2 clicks down from the park position. Make sure the column is set to the neutral position. You might need to have someone hold it there. Now tighten the linkage nut. You may need to readjust the neutral safety switch (NSS) after this.

Loosen the 2 small bolts holding the NSS. Block wheels and place trans in neutral. Insert small pin (1/16" drill bit) in hole in side of NSS. Adjust NSS body back and forth until pin can be pushed into hole approximately 1/2". Tighten NSS bolts.

If NSS still doesn't work fully it needs to be replaced.

broncobilly72

My old 68 ford truck is the same way.....I've left it that way because it's kind of a theft deterant!