• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

76 Stock Horn Pad - wiring?

lmelmed

Hi -

Replacing an aftermarket Grant with the original steering wheel. Ordered a new horn pad (did not ever have one) and there are two wires on the back of the new horn pad, but I do not see where they hook up (if at all?).

Thanks and early Happy New Years.

76 Stock 302 Bronco Auto

OP
OP
L

lmelmed

Hi - from looking at photos it appears that my stock wheel is missing the two metal tabs that come in on either side of the main nut. Welcome any suggestions on whether there is a work around as a new stock wheel is pricey. Thanks

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm not as familiar with the later ones as I should be I guess. I can't remember where the tabs might have been. Your Bronco should have a horn relay under the hood, so one of the wires connects to a wire that comes up through the column, and the other simply connects to the grounded column itself.
When you push the horn button, this grounds out the wire, energizing the relay under the hood and honking the horn.

Simple, when there are places to connect them!
Hopefully someone has pictures. I only have early and aftermarket wheels that I can check and they're different.

Good luck.

Paul

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
Ordered a new horn pad (did not ever have one) and there are two wires on the back of the new horn pad, but I do not see where they hook up (if at all?).

There should be a spade connector to the right of the steering shaft. It is part of the contact ring on the other side of the wheel and passes thru the wheel hub. If that spade connector is broken off, you can probably remove the contact ring and solder another one on. Another option might be to solder a wire to the bent metal tab just above the spade connector and use that wire to connect to the pad.

The other wire on the horn pad should have a spring connector. They call it a “J” connector. You squeeze it and insert it into one of the threaded holes in the wheel next to the steering shaft.

Here is a picture showing the spade connector and the threaded hole..

11030e197f826ead4d4f470b0b9c7c6f.jpg

Last edited: