• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

86 mustang motor a good donor for broncos?

mattyq17

Bronco Guru
A guy at work has an 86 mustang 5.0 that he is thinking about selling. If he does sell it he is asking $1500.00 for the whole car. Would this be a good motor/efi to put in my bronco?

Specs
68,000 miles
He has put on a 70mm MAF and a chip in the computer but was told that he needs to run 24 lb injectors, still has the 19lb injectors and currently has it on non-op till he gets the 24lb injectors or sells it.
5 spd tranny.

Is it worth it for $1500?

If it is I would only use the motor/harness and part out sell the rest.

What do you guys think?

For some reason I didnt think 86 was MAF?

anoblefox

Contributor
That is correct; the first year of mass air in a mustang was 1988 in calif and 1989 federal.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
I wouldn't by it. You can find an Explorer that's ten years newer, for less than $1000. And probably drive it home, and use it for several months. OBDI is so 2012. :)

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
Its correct that 86 was not mass air from the factory but lots of speed density mustangs were converted to mass air. Ford Motorsport even sold a conversion kit. I helped a good friend convert his 86 Mustang to Mass air back in the early 90's.

OX1

Bronco Guru
A guy at work has an 86 mustang 5.0 that he is thinking about selling. If he does sell it he is asking $1500.00 for the whole car. Would this be a good motor/efi to put in my bronco?

Specs
68,000 miles
He has put on a 70mm MAF and a chip in the computer but was told that he needs to run 24 lb injectors, still has the 19lb injectors and currently has it on non-op till he gets the 24lb injectors or sells it.
5 spd tranny.

Is it worth it for $1500?

If it is I would only use the motor/harness and part out sell the rest.

What do you guys think?

For some reason I didnt think 86 was MAF?

$1500 for a true 68K mileage 86 GT is a pretty good price, unless it is an absolute basket case. You could sell quite a few parts off that if you want to part it out.

86 5.0 was not MAF, but easily converted. 86 had the one year only swirl port heads which are not bad, but not nearly as good as 87 and up heads.
Upper intake and throttle body are also slightly smaller than 87+.

You also don't need MAF. Ditch that 70 mm MAF and run the stock speed density computer. Sure don't need 24 lb injectors for a stock 86, 5.0.

BTW, If you did pick it up, I'd possibly be interested in the pass seat.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I agree there are better deals to be had kinda sounds like your getting someones problem. And whatever mods were done may point to some flogging by the PO kinda normal with mustangs but 86K could be a lot of hard miles. If it was completely stock might be worth it but then its still a little high priced and you have to deal with getting rid of the rest of the car. Usually easier to sell someone a whole car than parts.
The E6 heads are ok but not real desireable for perfromance engines. Thats why they get the bad rap the valves are way to shrouded. But for the driving we tend to do they are ok. Personnally I'd rather have a later engine with better heads.

OP
OP
mattyq17

mattyq17

Bronco Guru
Thanks guys for the info, I will pass on this one. I want a 351 anyway just didnt know if this was too good of a deal to pass up.