• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

88 mustang 5.0 swap

jyeet24

Picked up a '88 mustang 5.0 for an EFI swap into my 71. Engine came with the speed density harness but no ECM, would like to splice in MAF but don't want to spend the $250+ on an A9L computer. Anyone know if the ECMs sold by Autozone or an equivalent auto parts store are up to par with the original A9Ls? Seems weird that used A9L computers are selling for $150 more than what a reman from Autozone costs.

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
That's a great observation, and I didn't understand it myself. I couldn't make sense of the Autozone listings...since they reference the Ford Part number...of which I am not familiar.

The Autozone reference nomenclature gives you the prefix, and the suffix. So E8ZFDA is shorthand for E8ZF-12A650-DA which is listed as a manual transmission, California emissions Mustang.

The A9L is labeled as an E9ZF-12A650-A2A
The A3M is labeled as F3ZF-12A650-DB
The 8LD is labeled E8ZF-12A650-D2B

I couldn't make sense of it because some of the computers are $104 to $179, and the cores are $46 to $120. I couldn't cross reference the A9L in their listings.

But the 8LD is an 88 Mass Air 5.0 5 speed, and should work just fine.

There's no reason why an aftermarket ECM should be any better, worse, or different than OEM depending on the source. The Global Tantalum Capacitor problem has been resolved...and should no longer be an issue.

I ended up buying a used A9L that was cut, and chipped...but it worked. I am interested to learn what you find out.

Sporto

Great point about the Remanufactured ECM's, and following the guidance provided, I did some basic research on the ECM numbers on the AutoZone site. They do align with the more desirable and expensive one's. Then I tried to order one from the Autozone site and every one they had listed stated that it was "out of stock" or "no longer available." So that sucks...

Typically things that are too good to be true aren't. :(

Keep looking, there are deals to be had out there on the interwebs!

Rich