• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

9 days till I snap... F100 Disc brake setup

Bronco69Sport

Loc.
Upper MI
Well, here's my situation... I put a 76 F100 disc brake setup on my 75, and I just brought it in to have a front end alignment and they say they won't touch anything cobbled together... My question is. What is the steering setup I need. Tie rods, etc to make this thing work? I am $425 into this setup and it looks like I will be more. I am planning on a drummond island MI. trip next friday, and my aussie locker and spool arrived today, and then I get this steering problem.. :-[ any help appreciated...

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Might want to contact one of the venders they have the skinny on what you need I'm not sure if the F100 rod ends are the same size as 76 bronco rod ends. But I'm assuming that your stock setup is to big and doesnt fit right? One other option would be to ream the knuckles so your current tierod fits. Oh next time you go to the alginment shop dont tell them its been pieced together most shops wont deal with it due to liability reasons.

old bronco

Kind of off the subject a bit, but I priced tires (33's) at wal-mart (of course the bronco wasn't there) and they asked me what they were going on, I told them a bronco and they stated that they wouldn't mount tires more than 1 size larger than factory due to liability issues. They did say however, if I brought the rims in (minus the bronco), they'd put whatever I wanted on them.

bludorbronc

Bolt the stock tie rod on to the knuckles and with toe in set close,turn the adjusting sleeve so you can see the end of the tie rod inside the sleeve and measure from the end that you can see, in the sleeve, to the center of the tie rod end stud (all this on the right hand end).Now go to the drivers side and measure from the center of the stud to the length you got from the other side, that should be where you cut the stock tie rod off and take it to a machine shop and have it threaded identical to the other end that is threaded already, so when you are done both ends look alike. Now all you have to do is buy another 76 tie rod end and adjusting sleeve and put it together, when you are done you will have the same tie rod end and adjusting sleeve on both ends, bolt it in, set toe in and bolt on stock drag link and everything should be tight. Since you bolted on f100 knuckles you are using the axles with bigger u-joints.

NYLES

Bronco Guru
I replaced mine with stone crusher stuff when I did mine....easy to do not too enpensive and a great upgrade....make sure you note that your running full size knuckles they end up about 3" narrower than 76-77's as they turn inward bout 1.5" each side.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
Kind of off the subject a bit, but I priced tires (33's) at wal-mart (of course the bronco wasn't there) and they asked me what they were going on, I told them a bronco and they stated that they wouldn't mount tires more than 1 size larger than factory due to liability issues. They did say however, if I brought the rims in (minus the bronco), they'd put whatever I wanted on them.

our walmart did my 35's and my buddies as well and at different stores

Broncoman

Bronco Guru

This a new thing they started about 6-9 months ago. Stupid. Just make me sign a waiver if you are worried I am gonna sue you.

thumping

Loc.
Jacksboro Tn
This a new thing they started about 6-9 months ago. Stupid. Just make me sign a waiver if you are worried I am gonna sue you.

Bronco69Sport, give us a shout and we'll be glad to help you out. The cost would be $275 plus shipping. You can check us out at www.stonecrushersteering.com

As for Wal-Mart. I took my daughters car in to have 2 new tires put on the front...front wheel drive. The back tires were only a month old. Wal-Mart refused to put the new tires on the front and said that if you were not getting all 4 new tires that they had to go on the rear. I pointed out that the rears are still new and the front ones are wore out due to a bad tierod that was just replaced. Sorry that's our policy. We can move the rears to the front for another $20. Yeah, and your policy is about as smart as most of the people working in this department. Thanks but I'll go across the street to a real tire store and have some put on. Thanks for wasting mine and your time.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
As for Wal-Mart. I took my daughters car in to have 2 new tires put on the front...front wheel drive. The back tires were only a month old. Wal-Mart refused to put the new tires on the front and said that if you were not getting all 4 new tires that they had to go on the rear. I pointed out that the rears are still new and the front ones are wore out due to a bad tierod that was just replaced. Sorry that's our policy. We can move the rears to the front for another $20. Yeah, and your policy is about as smart as most of the people working in this department. Thanks but I'll go across the street to a real tire store and have some put on. Thanks for wasting mine and your time.

That's fricken retarted, when I went to order my tires for the bronco pulled into a parking spot and there was part of a post sticking out of the concrete and blew out my tire, they tried to say it wasn't their fault it was the construction company that was building another one right next door, i went got the manager and they replaced it with higher doller tire then what was on there. I go to hibdons most of the time now as they will price match
sorry for hijack

72Sport

Bronco Guru
Bronco69Sport, give us a shout and we'll be glad to help you out. The cost would be $275 plus shipping. You can check us out at www.stonecrushersteering.com

A few years ago when regular gas was $.40 a gallon (I worked in a service station) the California Highway Patrol was quoted by the local newspaper saying that they recommended that the oldest or the most worn tires should be mounted on the front. The reason being that if you had a blow out you could compensate and keep control of the vehicle by turning the steering wheel. If you have a blowout on the rear you had a lot less control. I was surprised a year ago because Costco refused to put a couple of new tires on the front of my car. I guess a few lawyers picked up on the recommendation and it cost a lot stores a bundle in law suits because they mounted the good tires on the front and people had accidents. I was surprised that it took over 40 years for the tire stores to catch on. The owner of the station showed customers the article and put the old tires on the front.