• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

9 inch limited slip rebuild kits.

redtail

I want to rebuild the worn out stock limited slip in my 1968, what kit do I need to buy? Also are there any tech articles on rebuilding them?

I thought about putting in a locker that I have, but I have heard they are a PITA in street driving and can cause broken axles when wheeling (esp with the 28 spline stuff I am running) due to being too aggressive...

as much as I want to say my rig is a sweet wheeler, it is on road 95% of the time ;D, and I am NOT a fan of breaking things... so... ?

right now I have all stock running gear (manual trans) 3.5 gears and 31 10.50 tires.

red hot71

Loc.
kent wash.
When it comes to rebuilding the limit slip look at the bolt side of the unit itself they have problems of cracking around the bolts, and if its a pre 70s uint they take a different clutch pack.

I would inspect first then order. Jeffs has both early and late rebuild kits. I don't think theres a big problem or speical tools needed for the rebuild. But again if the units got cracks it best to start with new and if I was starting over the tru-trac would be worth the extra expence.

I had a locker in a 65 mustang once and it could be a hand full, and seeing you're from NE Washington you probley see your share of ice roads in the winter.

What town are you from? I have friends in Nitehawk.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Almost certainly the Equa-Lock ..which has the larger diameter clutch plates than the later Trac Loc.

I have replaced one Equa-Loc that split but otherwise I've had real good luck with them over the years.

OP
OP
redtail

redtail

When it comes to rebuilding the limit slip look at the bolt side of the unit itself they have problems of cracking around the bolts, and if its a pre 70s uint they take a different clutch pack.

I would inspect first then order. Jeffs has both early and late rebuild kits. I don't think theres a big problem or speical tools needed for the rebuild. But again if the units got cracks it best to start with new and if I was starting over the tru-trac would be worth the extra expence.

I had a locker in a 65 mustang once and it could be a hand full, and seeing you're from NE Washington you probley see your share of ice roads in the winter.

What town are you from? I have friends in Nitehawk.

It is a 1968 unit, and I had it out to re-seal the axle and didn't see any cracks, so I think I am good. It will still lock up (but it isn't very strong, useless offroad)

so do I have track loc or an equaloc

I am up near everett

OP
OP
redtail

redtail

The factory LS in my '69 is an EquaLoc.My money is on your being the same.

Yup, it was an equa loc, put in my locker today. so far I love it. However, during the swap I noticed the clutches/steels were in great shape, but just when I needed the thing most, it would one wheel peel on me. Stuck down in a hole? I think I'm tired today :cool:... Ugh. It would still do twin tracks when you were on gravel and grass and that jazz, but get down in a little grassy dip where one rear tire was well planted and the other was on some grass or something and it would act like an open diff... any ideas folks? I even had the fluid additive in the gear oil.

I also noticed that my t case makes a LOUD whining noise in low range in all gears at any speed above a crawl (had it in low range on a putt putt mission on the street after the locker install, I soon went to hi range and the noise went away, so I know it is the lo range making the noise)

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Sometimes you can fool the diff into locking up by slightly riding the brakes but its still a LS unit it will slip sooner or later.
I usually try and shim the cltuch packs a little more than is called for makes for tighter lock up. I also replace all the preload springs.
I've only had trac loc units but I have busted 2 of them they are not the strongest seems broncos only got 2 pinion units and they do tend to be weaker than 4 pinion units now I'm running a 4 pinion in my 73.

its fairly normal to hear the lower gearing of lowrange whine.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
When the going gets tough for the limited slip use you parking brake and lock it down most of the way until you get past the obstical it will help it alot. Dragging your regular brakes also drags the front which is not as good as using the parking brake.