• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

90 5.0 carbureted roller motor distributor

goneballistic

Loc.
Washington, MO
I putting a 90 5.0 out of a mustang in my 76 bronco. I'm gonna keep it carbureted. I'm trying to figure out what distributor to run. I know that the distributor gear is different so I was going to switch it out on the older 76 distributor, but the I.D. Of the gear for the shaft is larger than the older shaft on the 76 distributor.
So does anyone know what gear I need or what distributor I need?

igottastanger

Never mind, found it on a mustang forum.
"85 manual mustang distributor"

Yup as long as your running a duraspark setup. You can also bypass the duraspark to run just a MSD or even easier swap to an HEI distributor that's made for it which you can find on ebay for 60 bucks with new wires.

gambling209

the gear should be different. it is a billet gear for the billet material the cam is made for. if you run the regular gear(cast), like in your 76, it will fail over time. the dizzy has to come out of a roller motor. there are duraspark roller motors, like the one you stated. you can buy just the gear from ford.

igottastanger

The gears are different but the drive shafts are as well the gear is mounted lower on earlier models as compared to late models.

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have used the Summit Billet "Ready to Run" Distributor many times with NO issues and easy install. Correct Gear for Roller Cam too.

SUM - 850303-1 Distributor with SUM - G5217 Recommended Coil