• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

91 Bronco 302 EFI Swap

etennessen

I've got a 68 with a 289. Two years ago, a friend and I swapped the C4 for a new NV3550. A few months back, I picked up a 302 EFI from a 91 Bronco. I'd like to have it rebuilt and put it in my 68.

I've seen lots of posts on swapping in an Explorer, F-150 or Mustang 5.0, but I haven't seen anything about using a 91 Bronco 5.0.

My technical skills are very limited, and my knowledge comes from this forum and researching on the internet. I don't want to waste a bunch of money if there are many other problems that will pop up with this swap.

Any advice or opinions will be appreciated.

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Its not the most desirable swap because it uses a speed density system and you have to change it over to a mustang intake but it will work fine. It has 185 HP and prob 280 lbs of torque . With speed density you just can't upgrade to make more power. Like headers and a bigger can

tatersalad

Bronco Guru
If you are planning on purchasing an after market harness it is easy enough, you,ll need a stang upper and possibly lower intake, A9l or equivalent comp. and all of the stang meters such as mass air, bp, throttle position and so on. I went with BC fuel lines, tank, throttle and kick down cables but it can be done cheaper. There is plenty of info on here to make it easy for you, just start studying and it should be a smooth install. Good luck

OP
OP
E

etennessen

Thanks guys. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't wasting $1200 on a rebuild for something that wouldn't work.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The engine is a pretty generic 302. You don't have to use the EFI, and for that truck EFI I wouldn't. The intake is way too tall for the hood to close.

Keep in mind that you will still have the typical 5.0 swap issues. You will need the late model balance factor damper and flywheel, different then your original 289 stuff. Likely missing the boss on the block for bolting up the clutch linkage.

If it is going to be rebuilt anyway it would probably be a better idea just to rebuild the 289 you have now. It is a few more inches in the 302, but I feel the 289 was a better running engine. There isn't enough displacement gain to notice any power difference.