• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

911! Key stuck in the on position, engine won't turn off.

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
After I went to the sandblaster today everything was fine but then on the way home I realized sand must of gotten in the ignition switch and I can't turn it to the office Seshan's and the engine won't stop running. I can get the engine to stop in some other way. But how the crap do I get this key out? I can't use the paperclip in the pinhole because the keys in the way and water into the accessory position. Help!

OP
OP
ObscureMachine

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
Dang..... have you tried blowing it out with an air hose while you wiggle the key?

Tried blowing it out, tried wd40, my friend tried some carb cleaner. I pulled the coil wire to kill the engine and disconnected the battery.

The key will go from the ON position to START and back. But that's it.

chuckyb

Contributor
I had this happen on my Mustang a few times and replaced the ignition switch.

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
I think I would crack open a beer and just sit and work the key for awhile and hope for the best. The next step is to get after it with a drill....... it may take two beers.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Is the key stuck in the run position or the off position or the starter position. Try lightly turning the key in the direction you want to go. While holding it take a metal object and tap the top of the key as in up and down, not in and out. try to create a harmonic as you gently keep pressure in the direction you want to go. make sure the key is all the way in. If you get it to your off position then try to keep going to the accessory position so you can put the paperclip in and make the final twist to pull the tumbler assembly. Then the tumbler assembly can be properly cleaned.

OP
OP
ObscureMachine

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
Is the key stuck in the run position or the off position or the starter position. Try lightly turning the key in the direction you want to go. While holding it take a metal object and tap the top of the key as in up and down, not in and out. try to create a harmonic as you gently keep pressure in the direction you want to go. make sure the key is all the way in. If you get it to your off position then try to keep going to the accessory position so you can put the paperclip in and make the final twist to pull the tumbler assembly. Then the tumbler assembly can be properly cleaned.

It's stuck in the ON position. I've spent two hours trying to get it to slip to OFF. I'll try the tapping idea.

jrwyant

Contributor
How about that idea of breaking off the key, in order to gain access to that little hole? My ignition switch has a lot of play in it, not sure how realistic this would be...

Master Chief

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Cut 1/2 of the key to expose the pin hole, use the remaining half to rotate the tumbler.

OP
OP
ObscureMachine

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
How about that idea of breaking off the key, in order to gain access to that little hole? My ignition switch has a lot of play in it, not sure how realistic this would be...

I can get to the hole but you have to be able to turn it to th ACC position, which I can't.

bronco t

Contributor
Loc.
San Diego CA
Can you take the whole switch assembly out and tap it key down to rattle the sand out? You could also flood it with Brake clean while you tap. Gravity could be your friend?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Won't work initially. He's got to get the key and cylinder out before he can remove the switch from the dash. Which he can't yet.
And drilling into the little hole might not fix anything anyway. Since it's not lined up with the spring loaded plunger at this point, he'd only be drilling into the casting of the switch body. But not in any location that would unlock anything.
Theoretically anyway. Never personally tried it.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Cut 1/2 of the key to expose the pin hole, use the remaining half to rotate the tumbler.

Doesn't work that way. He's got to get the cylinder to the ACC position before he can even bother to put anything in the pin hole. It's not hidden as it sits now with the key inserted still. It's just not in any workable position where drilling or poking will do anything.

Paul