• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

93 Lightning part out, what if anything should I grab?

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Found a 93 Lightning being parted out that's almost complete. It is complete when it comes to drivetrain, motor, computer and all accessories.

I know it's a flat tappet cam but were the 93 Lighting blocks roller ready or is it 100% 94 and up blocks that are?

Is this worth messing with? Motor is clean with no visible signs of oil leaks but that's about all I know about it. It is complete un touched at this point.

Tim

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Check the block see if its a F4TE which supposedly they did put into 93 lightenings. If its not a F4TE block then its not a roller block. Otherwise heads and lower and upper intake are the real pieces you want.
debateable on wether the computer is worth grabbing or not they were speed density not the greatest system in the world if you intend on mods.

TN1776

Bronco Guru
Lower intake manifold! Even if you just sell it. They are getting hard to find.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I would love to have the green 42lb fuel injectors out of it. PM sent.

Not that one. The greens 42s are from the supercharged 2nd gen.
This is a naturally aspirated 351 1st gen, completely different truck.

Yes, engine is worth picking up. Minimum good parts are the intake (whole thing) and heads.

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If its all there I would grab the engine as a whole with the harness and computer. I know speed density isn't the best but that stock set up would be pretty fun in a bronco as it is

OP
OP
Timmy390

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Now the real big question.....What price would you pay for the complete setup if the motor is "ok" meaning it will turn over? Motor, computer and harness

I've seen those lower intakes priced $$$$. I wasn't looking for a Lightning just stumbled accross it. I was looking for a deal on a 351W.

Guessing the intake combo has trouble fitting under a stock hood? How about with a 1 inch BL?

Tim

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I had a '95 and was told the '93 did not have the roller block.
But so what. For sure, grab the drive train. Upper, and especially the lower intake...and the heads are pretty good for OEM iron.

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
A 93 truck most likely, will not have the F4TE (94-97) 351w Roller Block. Still a great motor if in good shape. Can use as is with Speed Density, or if modifying can switch over the Mass Air.

As usual, grab as much as you can.

Just about everything on the motor can be installed in an Early Bronco. (may need the 1" BL to help clear stock hood) The serpentine system will drop right in with a 1" Fan spacer and Mechanical fan. (Just take off the smog pump)

igottastanger

To my knowledge all lightnings had the roller block, that's why they are sought after so much. But doesn't mean the previous owner didn't blow the motor and replace it the cheap way.

OP
OP
Timmy390

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
So the guy wants $1200 for the motor, computer and harness the whole shooting match and he will pull it. He said it does run but gas tank has a hole in it due to rust. To be honest, I was hoping for a better price. I'm a cheap S.O.B I guess as that seems high to me.

It was bought to restore but is too far gone. Rust all over the underside. My guess is salt.

He doesn't know if it's a F4TE block. I keep reading and hearing conflicting info on the 93's. Some say late 93's got the F4TE other all 93's and some say 94 and up got F4TE. he didn't seem willing to get dirty and get the numbers. I'm sure he would if I has some cash in hand.

Tim

Last edited:

Bluebolt

Loc.
Benton LA
That's an insanely high price. Pass me his number so I can chew him out.

(Hmm how much cash do I have available?)

rastiss

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Wichita falls, Texas
If I were you I'd pass because of the hole in the fuel tank. However, I'm looking for a gas tank with a rusty hole. Please pm his phone number so I can get that tank.

mattt

Bronco Guru
I had a 93 Lightning engine that did not have the F4TE roller ready block. If I remember correctly, the block casting was F0AE.

I too bought a complete engine/drivetrain with harness, EEC, & trans. Once I jumped in....I soon realized it was a waste of time to try to keep the stock Lightning computer. Biggest reason is the Lightning truck used an E4OD trans that was also controlled by the same computer. That trans is too big for an EB....period. Lightning specific computers bring about $100-$125 over on their board....harness about the same. $1200 isn't bad but I picked up my deal for around the same and got the trans as part of the package also. I think I sold the trans off for around $300. I kept the a few of the Lightning parts, but it's now running on Mustang SEFI system.

OP
OP
Timmy390

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Thanks Matt that really helps. I sure don't want that transmission in my EB and if the computer isn't good for the EB, I don't want that either. Maybe that wll bring the price down a bit.

I'm going to try and put eyes on the motor later this week or weekend. My life is SO busy (It's a coaching thing) I can't look at it till then. Hopeing between games I'll have time. That's if we stay in the winners bracket. We lose early and it will be Monday.

If I do pass on it I'll make sure and let you guys know. I'm hoping for a F4TE block. I'll post it up for sure if I pass.

Tim