• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

96 Explorer Engine Tick

pgilchri

Loc.
Glasgow, MT
I have done the 96 explorer engine swap with an engine that supposedly only had 62k on it. When first started (cold) it sounds great but after it warms up I get a tick from the engine. It sounds like a lifter tick but I wasn't sure if a roller cam would make this noise.

Any incite is appreciated!

-Patrick

RnrdTheFox

Loc.
Superior, CO
I have a 97 with ~ 40K miles (so they said) and it has a slight tick while running after it's warmed up. I only notice it every once in a while. It's not very loud.

ugly74

Bronco abuser
try runnin some BG44K through it to flush out any varnish and goobers.
roller cam or not, lifters can tick if they get all sticky.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Exhaust leak is another option.
Sometimes injectors are a bit noisey and sound like valvetrain.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
I put an 88 5.0HO motor with 10K on the odometer last year and it had a good tick after I got it running and it was lifter. I installed new ones and the tick went away.

Ben

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Only if the cam is damaged.

Remember to actually diagnos the problem, not just throw parts at it hoping to fix it.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Your 97 is a roller motor and so will have roller lifter as well, the cam should be fine. As broncobowsher said make sure it's your problem and then go from there.

Ben

OP
OP
P

pgilchri

Loc.
Glasgow, MT
So Just to clarify...because it has a roller cam I can swap out just the lifters without damaging the cam? Do you think I am causing any damage by driving it with the tick?

Thanks,
Patrick

ugly74

Bronco abuser
So Just to clarify...because it has a roller cam I can swap out just the lifters without damaging the cam? Do you think I am causing any damage by driving it with the tick?

Thanks,
Patrick

yes, you can just swap out the lifters and it would be fine. since they have rollers, it doesn't have two sliding surfaces that have to wear into each other, like on a flat tappet cam.
but that all seems like a lot of money and pain in the posterior...compared to flushing the oil system out with some "5 minute motor flush" or BG44K.
it's worked for me everytime I've had a lifter start ticking.

OP
OP
P

pgilchri

Loc.
Glasgow, MT
Ugly74 I actually tried the 5 minute motor flush with some conventional oil right after I got it running. It definitely did some cleaning...as it turned the oil black. I then put in synthetic hoping the tick would be cured but there was no change. Maybe Ill give it another chance or add some seafoam to the synthetic to see if I can get it cleaned out.

Thanks,
Patrick

ugly74

Bronco abuser
I've got a dodge truck with a 360 that all of a sudden had a nasty lifter tap, so I did the 5 minute motor flush. actually it took just over 12 minutes of idling for it to finally shut up.
so is this like a common problem then? explorer lifters tickin all the time?

RnrdTheFox

Loc.
Superior, CO
I've got a dodge truck with a 360 that all of a sudden had a nasty lifter tap, so I did the 5 minute motor flush. actually it took just over 12 minutes of idling for it to finally shut up.
so is this like a common problem then? explorer lifters tickin all the time?

On mine, it's only a slight, barely noticable tick that I pay attention to. I'm not sure it's a lifter. Could be an injector too in my case. Once I start driving mine everyday, I'll get a better feel for it. I'm going to put some injector cleaner in mine first and then work from there. I like the flush idea also.

Duke Nukem

Loc.
Simi Valley
I have a '97 explorer that has a lifter tick so it seems like a common problem with those engines. It is more noticable at startup but quiets down once the engine gets to operating temperature. Otherwise the engine seems to run well and it doesn't bother me enough to bother replacing the lifters.

broncokak

Bronco Guru
Funny, I have a 98 Explorer motor and I think it has a tic as well. I know I did have an exhaust leak but that has been fixed. I can hear it after it warms up it seems to come from the passenger's side but everyone I have had listen to it (including a Stealership) say to just run it and don't worry about it. Drives me nuts but no one said a word about it at the Round Up last weekend so I guess it isn't all that bad.

OP
OP
P

pgilchri

Loc.
Glasgow, MT
I think I am probably being a little anal because the engine I swapped out had a tick. It got progressively worse and I discovered that a lifter and a cam lobe wore through the hardened outer and ground each other down.
Thanks for the help.
Patrick