• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

97 Explorer Engine Rattling

Rocko1012

Stock Engine, first run in couple years, runs great, good throttle response, BUT
has a rattle on right side. Nothing is loose on engine, rattle does not increase upon acceleration from what I can tell. I used NON Ethanol Gas. Could it be pre-ignition. I will remove from drive belt to see if its a pulley. pull plugs ETC. Probably pull right valve cover as last resort. All and any input appreciated.

Thanks
Ron

Broncobowsher

Total hack
At idle? Not going to be detonation. I have only heard detonation at idle once but that was on homemade straight run gasoline (probably only 30 octane). And it won't be isolated to one side of the engine either.

JSBX

Contributor
We just ran into this same problem on a rebuilt explorer engine. Turned out to be a pulley on the front dress.

JB Fab

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
At idle? Not going to be detonation. I have only heard detonation at idle once but that was on homemade straight run gasoline (probably only 30 octane). And it won't be isolated to one side of the engine either.

Homemade gas! that's old school..... Like Flintstones!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Homemade gas! that's old school..... Like Flintstones!

It was a fuels and lube class. After everyone distilled there oil samples we put all the samples together and it was enough to idle a 351W for about 30 seconds.

OP
OP
R

Rocko1012

I believe I found the problem. Starter staying engaged with fly wheel. It is remanufactured from AutoZone for 77 bronco 3spd, but flywheel and clutch is for a 88 F150 with manual transmission. Any suggestions on what starter to get. Does the bronco ignition switch turn back automatically after start. I have to physically turn mine back to run position.