• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

97 explorer motor

Hasley84

Can you use a 97 or newer explorer motor with a c4 or NP-435 tranny. I am not quit sure if the pcm will function properly with out the transmission that the motor was fitted with from the factory. I want to swap one of these motors into a 77 if possible.

WheelHorse

Bronco Guru
you will need a 50 oz balance converter (perferrably with anti-balloning plates).

As far as the comp you would probably want to grab an A9L and wire it up as an older mustang.

I am not sure if the EV6 style injector is on a 97 engine, but it may not work with the A9L.

Check with Ford on that one.

heylouie00

'97 should be the old style injectors...

At least my '97 harness had the old style connectors on it.

--Craig

bsaunder

Bronco Guru
up to ~'02 they had the 5.0 motors and are great drop-ins for the Bronco. The new injectors didn't come into play until the mod motor to my knowledge. The front ballancer is 50oz, so if you stick with the explorer serp. setup (I really like mine), you either need to get it reballanced to 28oz to match your current 28oz flexplate or get your flexplate reballanced to 50oz.

Several people have used the explorer harness and computer, but most will swap over a mustang harness and use a mustang computer. If you swap over to the mustang SEFI harness and computer, you will also need a mustang distributor and coil as the explorer crank trigger and DIS coils won't work with that setup.

720Racer

Loc.
Auburn
bsaunder said:
up to ~'02 they had the 5.0 motors and are great drop-ins for the Bronco. The new injectors didn't come into play until the mod motor to my knowledge. The front ballancer is 50oz, so if you stick with the explorer serp. setup (I really like mine), you either need to get it reballanced to 28oz to match your current 28oz flexplate or get your flexplate reballanced to 50oz.

Several people have used the explorer harness and computer, but most will swap over a mustang harness and use a mustang computer. If you swap over to the mustang SEFI harness and computer, you will also need a mustang distributor and coil as the explorer crank trigger and DIS coils won't work with that setup.
My 99 Explorer 5.0 has the new style EV6 injectors. These injectors have very limited options when it comes to upgrades. It's worth your time to adapt the older sytle injectors so you will have more options if you need more fuel (stock are 17 lbs./hr injectors and there aren't many other options). If your engine has a 50 oz. imbalance, you'll need to stick with a 50 oz. flexplate (it's more than matching the harmonic balancer and flexplate, the rotating assembly also has to match). If you want convert to EEC-IV (mustang) you can leave the EDIS, you'll just need an EDIS-8 module off a 93 Crown Vic (I think, maybe it's 92).

Hasley84 said:
Can you use a 97 or newer explorer motor with a c4 or NP-435 tranny. I am not quit sure if the pcm will function properly with out the transmission that the motor was fitted with from the factory. I want to swap one of these motors into a 77 if possible.

To answer your question, yes either of these transmissions will work with this motor, you'll need a TwEECer to manage the Explorer ECM if you want to keep it EEC-V. If you swap it over to EEC-IV, you can get the apropriate ECM (A9L, A9P, etc.) for auto or manual. There's alot of knowledge here so ask questions, or do a search. You'll have hours of reading.

Good luck,

Galen

Last edited:

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
The Explorer motor is a pretty common swap. As far as bolting it in pretty much all you really need is a 50 oz. imbalance flexplate (or flywheel) instead of the 28 oz. one. (You can't change to a 28 oz. balancer because the crank is 50 oz. in them) The general consensus is that the Explorer ECM is not practical because it ties into too many other systems. (2 or 3 sensors just on the gas tank for instance) Most people just stuff a 5.0 distributor in them and run the Mustang MAF system and ecm instead. As mentioned you can keep the EDIS instead of putting a distributor in but it requires a Tweacer (expensive) to do so. I've simplified the installation some here to the basics since there are other issues that need to be dealt with (like the absense of an ACT location in the intake) as well. Nothing big though and there is plenty of information on this site on the finer details.

bsaunder

Bronco Guru
Thanks for the clarification, 720Racer and SaddleUp - its' been ~4 years since I had my head buried in that stuff and apparently I've grown some cobwebs :-[

Broncobowsher

Total hack
WheelHorse said:
you will need a 50 oz balance converter (perferrably with anti-balloning plates).

As far as the comp you would probably want to grab an A9L and wire it up as an older mustang.

I am not sure if the EV6 style injector is on a 97 engine, but it may not work with the A9L.

Check with Ford on that one.
The convertor is actually the same, the Explorer motor should come with the correct flexplate if you run an auto (50 oz-in, 164 tooth, 11.4” convertor bolt circle). If you want a flywheel, make sure to get a 50 ox-in to replace your current 28. I believe an 80’s F150 with a 302 is correct. A search should tell us the correct application.

Go ahead and just swap out the Explorer computer and harness for a Mustang. Put in a distributor and run that way. The coil pack explorer EEC-V is a lot more complex then what it takes for these to run. It will probably require a twEECer to turn stuff off, and you will probably still have problems. The EEC-IV is supported much better.

The front accessory drive is the best find you could put on a Bronco.

shifter

Loc.
Agua Dulce, CA
Hasley84 said:
Can you use a 97 or newer explorer motor with a c4 or NP-435 tranny. I am not quit sure if the pcm will function properly with out the transmission that the motor was fitted with from the factory. I want to swap one of these motors into a 77 if possible.[/QUOT

Another thing to look for is the fuel rail, some used a returnless type system. No big deal to change the fuel rail though, I used a 97 intake for mine. I think not having that act sensor hanging in the #1 port is an advantage. I put mine in the upper intake.