• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

99 ford explorer swap

Real Big Stache

Loc.
Henderson, NV
Just picked up a donner explorer. The explorer has 170K miles on it. Do you guys recommend an entire rebuild on this engine or would you just replace the gaskets. I am not much of a mechanic but knwo my way around tools. I live in vegas so any engine cooling upgrades you guys have done i would love to know what. I plan on using this for a daily driver. I have 33" tires, purchased a 3.5 lift, and 1" body lift. My front and rear are 4.09 with a limited slip in the rear. Any pointers will be appreciated.

Thanks!

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
I have done similar with my current build... supposedly a 100K motor, pulled the pan and checked the main bearings. Looked good and then replaced the oil pump. Pan was pretty clean.
Did timing cover gaskets, timing gears, water pump, and freeze plugs. Couple of broken exhaust manifold bolts required pulling the heads - Unplanned, but everything looked great in the cylinders. Bolted it all back together and fired her up.

When you pull the valve cover gaskets/pan you will know a lot on how the motor has been treated maintenance wise.

Cooling... The factory fan plastic or metal cools well. (Check plastic fan for cracks, you can still get them from Ford) Get a good shroud around it. I am using a factory rad, it has been tanked and cleaned. I have a WH cross over pipe for the lower Rad. I don't live in Vegas, but we do get 100* days here, I have not had a problem with temps.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
/\/\ x2
Good advice.

Pull covers to see if it was maintained right.
If it works don't fix it, put it in your Bronco so you can drive it and enjoy it.

If properly maintained the Explorer 5.0 is easily a 300,000 mile engine.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
X3 on if it's not broke don't fix it......EFI roller motors go forever......BUT

I did teardown my unknown mileage 351W before putting it in. Pulled it from a running E350 van. It didn't need rebuilding per say but I did it anyway. Machine shop and parts cost me about 1K and that's me doing all the work myself. Had it punched 20 over

I did the head work (new valve stem seals and lapped the valved). I did have them checked for cracks (not that it did any good..lol)

Tim

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Thanks guys. I will definitely look into doing that. IS there anything else i can use in the 99 explorer? THanks!

The fuel pump is well worth keeping.

The Ford 8.8 rear will sell to a Jeeper for an easy $200 to $300 depending on ratio and if LSD.

Some have used the overhead console.

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I just tore down a 152k mile explorer, this engine looked as if it only had maybe 10k on it, unbelievable, of course I'm sure it depends on how well it was maintained, but I have seen several with high miles and all looked good. I would replace timing chain, water pump and gaskets, front, rear main seal and oil pan gasket and call it good. I would chk main an rod bearings while its out just for good measures

OP
OP
Real Big Stache

Real Big Stache

Loc.
Henderson, NV
The fuel pump is well worth keeping.

The Ford 8.8 rear will sell to a Jeeper for an easy $200 to $300 depending on ratio and if LSD.

Some have used the overhead console.

i intend on buying the 23 gallon efi tank with pump from Tom's Bronco parts so i should be good on the fuel pump.

during initial start it doesn't fire right up. Should i be concerned? IT cranks for maybe 3 seconds and fires up. Sometimes longer and i have to pump the gas a bit.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
i intend on buying the 23 gallon efi tank with pump from Tom's Bronco parts so i should be good on the fuel pump.

during initial start it doesn't fire right up. Should i be concerned? IT cranks for maybe 3 seconds and fires up. Sometimes longer and i have to pump the gas a bit.

Does it have enough pressure and flow enough for the 1999 Explorer injectors?
What about the return line? (the 1999 Explorer is internal in the fuel tank)
Where is the fuel pressure regulator located?

Many of the EFI tanks that the vendors carry were designed when the EFI of choice was the older Mustang which uses lower pressure injectors than the later Explorers and an external fuel pressure regulator and return line.

OP
OP
Real Big Stache

Real Big Stache

Loc.
Henderson, NV
Does it have enough pressure and flow enough for the 1999 Explorer injectors?
What about the return line? (the 1999 Explorer is internal in the fuel tank)
Where is the fuel pressure regulator located?

Many of the EFI tanks that the vendors carry were designed when the EFI of choice was the older Mustang which uses lower pressure injectors than the later Explorers and an external fuel pressure regulator and return line.

Good questions. I will need to know the flow and psi requirements of the 99 explorer engine. Anyone have that info on this site?