• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

A Couple of Basic Question About Twin-Stick Install

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Hi Everyone,

I have read a lot of threads this afternoon about transfer case removal/reinstallation and twin stick install.

Without going into some of the other details, I guess I want to make sure that I will be able to do the install once I get started.

I read some time ago that someone used a furniture roller (small flat wooden platform with 4 casters) attached to the transfer case and then raised/lowered with a floor jack during the removal/reinstallation. It sounded like a good idea. Anything I should be concerned about?

The transmission is a T-18 and the transfer case is a Dana 20.

The twin stick I received as a gift is a T-shift JB Fab model.

There is a lot of good information in this forum. I just want to make sure that I can do this without removing and reinstalling the transfer case a number of times. In other words, I want to make sure it is worth me trying this as opposed to paying a shop to do it.

Thanks for your help.

Jeff

BicksBronc

Loc.
Concord, NC
I thought you could make a larger opening in your floor like an inspection panel to get down to where you need to work with transfer case.

bluesbish

Loc.
Upstate New York
I don't think you have to remove the t-case to install it, unless you want to remove the pills or grind the rails to allow for fully independant shifting.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
...unless you want to remove the pills or grind the rails to allow for fully independant shifting.

If this is not the plan it's a complete waste of time and effort to twinstick a T style transfer case. You'll end up with a tcase that requires 2 hands to operate. Not much of an upgrade.

OP
OP
Jeff10

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Hi,

I guess I didn't think that some folks may not want them to be independent.

I do want the independence, so it was my understanding that I would need to remove the transfer case to make the necessary changes.

Thanks, though, for the input.

Jeff

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Hi,

I guess I didn't think that some folks may not want them to be independent.

I do want the independence, so it was my understanding that I would need to remove the transfer case to make the necessary changes.

Thanks, though, for the input.

Jeff

You'll need to remove and completely disassemble it to get the pills out. Might as well rebuild it at that time.

bad 68

Loc.
Northest Washington
The pills are the very last thing to come out of the empty Tcase during disassembly. The idler shaft usually shows wear so be sure to get the rebuild kit that includes a new hardened shaft. Yes you can do this if you have even intermediate mechanical skills.

motoman

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
Hi Greg,
Thanks for the link. I had actually glanced through the write-up earlier.
Is the kit sold by Tom's actually the JB Fab product?

Thanks
Jeff

You would have to asked TBP directly. I do not have that information.

JB Fab

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
You would have to asked TBP directly. I do not have that information.

No they are not......
The twin-sticks that they are selling are copies of our old style.

Our newer styles are based on multiple improvments suggested by the fine people here on this forum.
Jon