• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

A little advice please

Steve72

Hello everone! I just started a new project with my son ('72 with 302 & C4 transmission) I live outside of Denver.

The drag link and tie rods are origional 150K miles, so I assume I need to replace them. Is this necessary? Can I rebuild them?

As I've seen on some postings on this site my Bronco has rust(4"X4") on each the left & right "fender wall". Aside from replacing them entirely what is the best "fix" for these holes"

Thanks to all! I found the floor pan's I need for $65 & $79 each.

Steve

slyjki

Loc.
okc ok
Steve72 said:
Hello everone! I just started a new project with my son ('72 with 302 & C4 transmission) I live outside of Denver.

The drag link and tie rods are origional 150K miles, so I assume I need to replace them. Is this necessary? Can I rebuild them?

As I've seen on some postings on this site my Bronco has rust(4"X4") on each the left & right "fender wall". Aside from replacing them entirely what is the best "fix" for these holes"

Thanks to all! I found the floor pan's I need for $65 & $79 each.

Steve
just cut out rust make sure to get it all, and weld a patch, grind and paint.

broncow72

Village Idiot
Loc.
Spring,TX.
Those other rust holes can be patched with 18 ga. sheet metal, available at your local steel supply house. Can also be had at your local home depot. If you want these patches (yes we need stinking patches) to look good, I would recommend a pneumatic crimping tool.

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
sorry your tie rods aren't rebuildable. just buy a new set or find a good
"lightly used" 30+ year old set. really just buy some new ones. you'll be better off in the long run.
as for the rust, if you see a 4x 4, there is a couple of inches hidden behind you aren't seeing yet.
you can replace the panel, or you can cut out and splice in a new piece that you will fabricate.
rust is one of these things, that as you work on trying to take care of it, you will find more and more.. get used to it. it's a bronco. it came off the assembly line rusting.

it takes allot of work & $ to have a rust free bronco. i'm right in the middle of one now.

hth
nick

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Check the venders sites they have new tie rods I suggest going with the 3 way adjustable setups as they will help if any future suspension lift is planned. Also the 3 way adjustable uses replaceable ends so you just buy ends and not the whole setup down the road.
I'm not a fan of the hiem joint setups for a few of reasons 1. not DOT approved 2. poor sealing against the elements. 3. parts availibility local parts store may not carry them if you need a new one.