• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

A little light EFI bedtime reading, the search function, and rambling.

Z Bronco

Bronco Guru
For those about to read on, please understand that I have been up way to many hours dreaming about Bronco mods, places to go, and life's journey.

I have owned my Bronco for over 20 years and have taken a perfectly stock Ranger model to what it is today being what I call a Street and trail rig (some will like, some won't). I have learned much about mechanics with the frustrations and joy of this fun old rig. The highlight of ownership has been taking my kids last summer across country from North Carolina to Oregon camping and wheeling along the way (8000+ miles of fun). As I am about to turn 50 and being reflective on much, including the Bronco, I am thinking of updating the Bronco to fuel injection. Carb lovers please don't flame me and remember I like to drive to, hopefully through, and back from the trail.

The Carter AFB 625 CFM I had for years was great on the street, but did not do well off road. A Holley 670TA sits on top of the 351W now and is great off road, but its street manners are well........horrible. I and the best carb guy in town can't seem to get it to run right on the street (It is not the first generation TA either). With my trip last summer going from sea level to 12,800 ft., it makes sense for me to modernize.

This board is wonderful in the help it provides to EFI newbies like me! I have been reading non stop and using the search function for days. I think I am beginning to get a flicker of understanding when it comes to my future EFI swap (Old dog, new trick).

In short the thing that keeps coming up for me as I reflect and ramble is all the great people I have met, family time, and cool places I have gone since I bought this Bronco. SO THANKS EVERYONE!

I think I need some sleep now.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey Z. Great way to start a weekend! What? You're not heading out on another adventure with the kids today? Whasssup with that? You're only 50, so get on it man!

Since you've been searching, I assume that you've been following the DonsBolt thread about his new experience with the F.A.S.T. system?
Might be right up your alley. I'm probably going to do a hybrid system. Using Ford mechanicals, but an aftermarket computer and harness. We'll see though, some of the TB systems with MPFI manifolds (like Accel DFI stuff) is pretty wicked and wickedly tuneable.
So we'll see what we'll see...

In the meantime, did you share your trip with us anywhere? I remember hearing mention of it, but don't remember any details. Can you point me to any threads about it?

Thanks.

Paul

ps: you're just going to LOVE EFI of any kind, if you continue to persue travel adventures that encompass so many altitude variations!

OP
OP
Z Bronco

Z Bronco

Bronco Guru
Hey good to hear from you!

I am in the process of trying to writing something down for Bronco Driver and I still need to get set up so I can post pics here. Unfortunately, I have been working way to much paying off my trip last summer and getting ready for the next adventure. I hope to have the article done soon.

I plan on driving back to the MEB roundup again someday, the event at Gore was so much fun! My kids are now living in Greenville, South Carolina so this will present some new areas to explore. Remember 50 is the new 30, hope to see you on the trail.

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
Believe it or not EFI, can be summed up like this;
1. Swap intake manifolds, install sensors
2. Route fuel lines and install new fuel pump
3. Install efi harness and make all the connections
4. Double check your work
5. Start it up and go for a 50-100 mile drive so the computer can learn your system.

It seems daunting, but really it's fairly simple once you have all of your parts in front of you.

Good luck

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Believe it or not EFI, can be summed up like this;
1. Swap intake manifolds, install sensors
2. Route fuel lines and install new fuel pump
3. Install efi harness and make all the connections
4. Double check your work
5. Start it up and go for a 50-100 mile drive so the computer can learn your system.

It seems daunting, but really it's fairly simple once you have all of your parts in front of you.

Good luck

That ought to be framed .... matter of fact , it is a good base for a EFI punch list ...IE
2a . Route main fuel line
2b . route return fuel line
3a . etc .....
with alot of research , and pre-buying the proper parts , it really can be that simple. Sweet thing is you can do stuff in phases and still drive the Bronco , IE fuel lines & pumps , get harness and ECM in place , get O2 sensors installed , then do the final conversion (intakes and sensors) in a weekend.

Also , at Zbroncos ripe old age of 50 ;D ;D (I'm 39 and won't be 38 again any time soon) , I'm betting he has patience galore , which has benefited me in my parts purchases. If you are not in a hurry , the right parts can be found cheap.
I'm lovin' my EFI install by the way.
I'm gonna guess you have been to Ryans sight ....there is alot of stuff that is semi-hidden there .....for getting parts #'s , I ended up printing this page for constant reference. I saved a bundle of money buying new sensors off of Ebay instaed of the local parts houses.
http://fordfuelinjection.com/?p=89

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
ZZZZZZZ,
I'm in sort of the same boat. Sure a FI motor looked cool for a while but it seems that everyone has done that one. The newness of FI has worn off. I'm going to be a hard sell since I also love the fact that I can fix the old system in a pinch. I have a lot of purdy new parts on it. I just love the look of a carbed motor under my hood.
Now my old 302 has gotten tired and uses oil. Lots of oil. On the practical side, I see the opportunity to get away from the flat tappet cam, two piece rear seal, and fuel mixture problems of all sorts. Im looking for a complete FI/AOD doner now. If I find one with a mass air system, I can still replace the cam for a little rump-rump to it! Maybe that will satisfy the street rodder in me.;D

Attachments

• engine 5 a.jpg
    engine 5 a.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 15
OP
OP
Z Bronco

Z Bronco

Bronco Guru
You guys are great! Yes, I do have patience, but still a kid at heart. I am still researching EFI and studying Ryan's site and plan on emailing on some questions I have.

Since I have a 351W with a C4, what lower intake would be best for my street and trail Bronco that tows a military trailer on long adventures? Should I post this as a separate thread?

Thanks again everyone.

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
From what I understand , using a stock truck 351 lower , BC's adapter plate and a Mustang upper , will be the cheapest route , but will strangle a built 351. So , if your motor is pretty mild , it should be fine , any thing more and your looking at a matched aftermarket set ----- Edlebrock or something.
I'm gonna dig around on this too , just for my own future use when I go to a 351.

Hell , this is your thread , take it anywhere you like .....