• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

A whole lotta shakin' goin' on (5.0 vibration issue)

HGM

Loc.
Senoia, Ga.
Have you checked the oil level? I've seen some engines, accidently overfilled, vibrate because the crank weights encounter more oil than normal.

72 horse

Loc.
Big Stone Gap
I also have a 5.0 block with new motor mounts. I have a minor vibration at higher RPM and have read that the mounts require modification for some 5.0 blocks. I can see that the drivers side is contacting the block and outer lip of the oil pan. I would inspect that closely and does anyone have a description of the mods needed other than just removing metal till its clear.

OP
OP
Rox Crusher

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
Have you checked the oil level? I've seen some engines, accidently overfilled, vibrate because the crank weights encounter more oil than normal.

Oil level is good. Changed it once already (after 500 miles).

OP
OP
Rox Crusher

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
I also have a 5.0 block with new motor mounts. I have a minor vibration at higher RPM and have read that the mounts require modification for some 5.0 blocks. I can see that the drivers side is contacting the block and outer lip of the oil pan. I would inspect that closely and does anyone have a description of the mods needed other than just removing metal till its clear.

Hadn't thought of that so I will give it a good close look.

777mechanic

Loc.
centennial colorado
i have to confess , jeff when you where doing the motor swap phil and i tied a bolt on fishing string inside the bell housing . boy that feels so much better getting that off my chest .

OP
OP
Rox Crusher

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
i have to confess , jeff when you where doing the motor swap phil and i tied a bolt on fishing string inside the bell housing . boy that feels so much better getting that off my chest .

your funny as hell

hope to see you next week end so we can do the same to shawn

:eek:

OP
OP
Rox Crusher

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
Good news / bad news

Well, good news is that I'm pretty sure I solved and thankfully it isn't the motor

Bad news is that the top bolt on the transfer case (right next to the breather) is digging into the body cross brace / channel.

I think I will remove the custom supports for the crossmember and elongated the holes to lower the tranny / transfer case a bit.

Or..................I could be a redneck and let the bolt wear a hole into the body cross brace.

;D

OP
OP
Rox Crusher

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
confirmed the diagnosis today.............

I pried the floor up and jammed a piece of rubber in between the body and the transfer case and took it for a spin around the block.

I hit 4k on the tachometer and I still have my fillings.

Now just have to do a permanent fix.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone !

OP
OP
Rox Crusher

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
Just wanted to close this thread out for good.

I put in a new transfer case and found that the old one was definitely hitting the cross brace on the floor causing the vibration ( which caused bearings in tc to wear prematurely ).

We cut the close brace for clearance and it now runs smooth as silk.

Thanks for everyone's input and suggestions.

BIg thanks to Viper and Landshark for helping do the actual work !