• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

? about a body lift

mrbronco

Loc.
Lufkin,TX.
I just bought a 3" body lift off ebay but i don't want to use the full 3". My 74 has a 3.5" suspension lift so i was thinking a 1"-2" body lift. Anybody see a problem with me cutting the 3" blocks down to a desired size?

mtfit

Bronco Guru
Loc.
pa
why not use the 3" ??? I have 3.5 w/ 3" body w/ 37 MTR's and PLENTY of clearance.

jabranovich

Loc.
New Castle PA.
Lift

I have 3'' chassis,2''body,the body lift gives good clearance for air cleaner,NP435,brake booster,and saginaw ps pump with 351w to steering box,don't bother with 1".My $.02

vuke

Loc.
Red Bank, NJ
I dont see a problem with cutting it down as long as it's done right. ie make sure the cuts are straight and each block is the same height.

Labbster

I cut mine on a table saw. Very clean and straight! You can always cut the bolts down also. If you are going to a 2 inch body lift, there should be enough thread left.

OP
OP
M

mrbronco

Loc.
Lufkin,TX.
SteveL said:
Why not just trade somebody on here for the right parts?
I got the entire WildHorses kit for $25 shipped. I don't think anyone wants to take that kind of a loss on their stuff.
I'm in the process of putting a 351w in and thought i might need a little extra clearance. I've got a raised hood but i've also got a 4" K&N air filter. I probably will go with the 2". I might just try and find some different bolts for it that are the right length.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
If you got the wildhorse kit you will need new bolts if you cut the blocks down. It's a good kit I would use it the way it is. I did!

Bax

broncoguy66

You shouldn't have any problems cutting them down. However, like Vuke said, make sure the cuts are straight. I cut two of my pucks down when I replaced the wood support under my Kentrol body with a steel channel. No big deal. Have fun! go wheeling

hillbilly delux

Loc.
West Point, MS
i need a lil help from you

when you installed 3.5 inch lift did you have probs getting the radius arms back on........i'm installing a lift now and i can't get the arms back on with the new bushings.

brixter

Loc.
Tuolumne CA
hillbilly delux said:
when you installed 3.5 inch lift did you have probs getting the radius arms back on........i'm installing a lift now and i can't get the arms back on with the new bushings.

Try greasing them up good and work em up and down they will go .

mrbronco I just installed a 2 inch BL and I would say just go with the 3 inch . If I had decided to get a 3 inch instead of the 2 I would have been just as happy.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I ran both broncos with 351 and 1 had the 4" k&n with only a hood scoop with no B/L without any problem. Now that I have a 2" B/L I want to put a stock hood back on.

broncoguy66

If I remember correctly, I had to use some straps to hold the axle from moving forward, as I jacked up the axle to align the radius arms and their mounts. Then tighening up the straps slid the arms in with no problem. Just be careful, as this now sounds very dangerous to me and I'm supprised it worked.

OP
OP
M

mrbronco

Loc.
Lufkin,TX.
hillbilly delux said:

I didn't install the lift the first time but i did have to redo everything to put in some additional pieces that were left out. In other words i had to strip it back out. I don't remember having any trouble getting everything back together. But like the other guy said you might use some grease but i didn't have any problems.
I want to thank everyone for their input. Now i'm 100% positive i don't know what i'm going to do;D . Maybe i will just go with the full 3" since all the parts are there for that. To everyone that did the full 3". What all did you have to modify on yours? On my 79 i had to get a longer fuel tank filler,lower the radiator, and lenghten my shifter rod from the column to the trans.