• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Accelerator pump diaphragm

rjcruz27

My accelerator pump diaphragm is leaking and I don’t feel confident with my skills to rebuild the whole carburetor. Can I just get that seal and replace it? Does anyone know which seal I would get?

1974 bronco explorer

Attachments

• 9F5F409F-93C6-47D0-A5FD-3DEB2E0C618A.jpg
    9F5F409F-93C6-47D0-A5FD-3DEB2E0C618A.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 37

WheelHorse

Bronco Guru
I would be confident that you could rebuild it.

They are a very simple carburetor.

rdullery76

I just replaced the accelerator pump diaphram on my 76 with Motorcraft 2150 carburetor. Very easy to do. You do not need to remove the carb or even undo the linkage. Inside the pump assy, you'll find the parts shown in Slowleak's internet link, and a spring. The spring is tapered. When you reassemble, make sure the large diameter end of the spring goes against the carb body. Might also check the condition of the red rubber plug (check valve) whilst in there. That acts as the valve between the float bowl and the accelerator pump circuit. If necessary, I believe it too can be purchased separately. Here is an online source for the check valve: https://www.carburetor-parts.com/Motorcraft-2150-Umbrella-Type-Check-Valve_p_1384.html

All the above is valid for a motorcraft 2150. If yours is a different carb, buy the parts for your carb.

Easy to do.

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, I always changed the rubber valve too, but you have to remove the top of the carb, and then you will need that gasket.
All I really want to say is don't overtighten the screws, gently snug them down.
Good luck