• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

ACP 170 Radiator with offset filler

66Uncut

Contributor
Loc.
So. Cal
The radiator in my 170 has seen better days and I've been wanting to swap it out. Most replacements have a centered filler but I found one from ACP that has an offset filler.

Unfortunately, they don't list it as being compatible with the Bronco. ACP says Mustang only.

Kentucky Mustang also sells it and they mention Mustang, Falcon, Ranchero, and Comet

What are the chances it might fit my 66 Bronco and they just don't mention it?

Radiator Express has dimensions on their website for their OE radiator...
Radiator_1966_Ford_Bronco_-_2.8_Liter_L6_170Cid_Radiator_Oem_Copper_Brass_3_Row__Radiator_Express_2023-08-22_19-19-28.png

...and it's almost identical to the ACP radiator:
19138_4.jpg_650520_2023-08-22_19-21-49.png

1/8" difference in core width
1/8" difference in overall height

An 1/8"...maybe the guy measuring didn't have his reading glasses on when taking measurements from the tape?

It should fit...right? RIGHT!? 😝😝

Thanks!
Anthony

EDIT:

I found this in the MPAC and looks like the dimensions for height and thickness (depth?) are off a bit more.

10001_-_1965-72_Ford_Car_MPAC_Part_A.pdf_2023-08-22_20-11-13.png

Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
"It should fit, right?"
Haha! Made me laugh right there. Heck, even stuff made for Broncos doesn't always fit!

Since one of them lists the Ford engineering number, have you checked with any other sits to see what the actual number was for the Bronco version?

It might be close enough to be adaptable? Not sure and I have not spent much time with the 6-cylinder radiators as the others.
What is about the offset cap that makes you prefer it? Looks? Compatibility with some other mods under the hood? Something about performance?
Or is it just price?
I'm guessing that pretty much anything for a Mustang is going to be less expensive than that same piece for a Bronco. And might even include free, or lower priced shipping?

Or is it the filler neck location?
You don't want the filler to be too close to the inlet (quicker boil-over), but it does not look like those have it too close to cause trouble.
Are you still utilizing the surge-tank setup in the upper hose? Or did the six-cylinder equipped Broncos even get that feature?
Might have answered my own question. Since the six radiators had the filler neck in the main rad body, they probably did not utilize a surge tank. The V8 radiators that had the surge tank (with it's own cap) did not originally come with one in the radiator. Not sure when that lack of filler cap changed, but I think they got rid of the extra surge tank after '69-ish?

Any other reason you're not wanting to buy one from one of us vendors? Price mainly?

Paul

OP
OP
66Uncut

66Uncut

Contributor
Loc.
So. Cal
Hi Paul,

Thanks for the reply.

"It should fit, right?"
Haha! Made me laugh right there. Heck, even stuff made for Broncos doesn't always fit!

Since one of them lists the Ford engineering number, have you checked with any other sits to see what the actual number was for the Bronco version?
It might be close enough to be adaptable? Not sure and I have not spent much time with the 6-cylinder radiators as the others.

C6TZ-8005-P is the correct part number for the radiator. I found it in the MPAC after I made the original post (I still have a hard time navigating the MPAC PDF as it usually freezes my computer when trying to search). I also got in touch with ACP and they said their radiator might work but not without some modification, which is not a path I want to take.

What is about the offset cap that makes you prefer it? Looks? Compatibility with some other mods under the hood? Something about performance?
Or is it just price?

No preference other than the way it looks. I've been collecting 6 cylinder engine photos over the years and have noticed that in a majority of them, the radiators have the offset filler. My rig is pretty much stock so it's just one of those OCD things where I try to find parts that look OE.

offset-radiators.png

I'm guessing that pretty much anything for a Mustang is going to be less expensive than that same piece for a Bronco. And might even include free, or lower priced shipping?

Or is it the filler neck location?
You don't want the filler to be too close to the inlet (quicker boil-over), but it does not look like those have it too close to cause trouble.
Are you still utilizing the surge-tank setup in the upper hose? Or did the six-cylinder equipped Broncos even get that feature?
Might have answered my own question. Since the six radiators had the filler neck in the main rad body, they probably did not utilize a surge tank. The V8 radiators that had the surge tank (with it's own cap) did not originally come with one in the radiator. Not sure when that lack of filler cap changed, but I think they got rid of the extra surge tank after '69-ish?

Any other reason you're not wanting to buy one from one of us vendors? Price mainly?

I check the Mustang sites because I think there is some overlap in parts and maybe I'll find something that works. It's not about price/shipping but just finding something that looks OE. My experience with the Bronco vendors is that there is a lot of stuff that will fit, but finding stuff that looks OE is more difficult. I think the vendors focus more on heavy duty parts for built rigs rather than OE parts for my grocery getter. :cool:

My preference would be to order from one of the vendors. If I can't find an offset radiator, I'll probably end up ordering this one from you as it looks like you have it in stock.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
That was another 66' year only deal, offset cap on the 66' with a 6cyl. I'll get some measurements this evening if you want and see if it's a match. That would be great it does.

OP
OP
66Uncut

66Uncut

Contributor
Loc.
So. Cal
That was another 66' year only deal, offset cap on the 66' with a 6cyl. I'll get some measurements this evening if you want and see if it's a match. That would be great it does.

Another curse of the 66! ;)

Yeah, I'd love it if you could grab some measurements.

Since the offset is 66 only, maybe it's possible that the part number C6TZ-8005-P is just the generic number for a compatible 66-69 170 radiator and not the specific part for 66s? It would be great if the Mustang radiator was the correct size.

OP
OP
66Uncut

66Uncut

Contributor
Loc.
So. Cal
Hey @okie4570 just checking to see if you were able to get a radiator measurement. I exchanged a few more emails with the guy at ACP and his last message ended with:

The 65/66 Mustang 6 cylinder used part number C5ZZ-8005-C, the listed measurements for the core are: 17-1/4" (wide) 16-1/2" (height) 1-1/4" (thick). The 65-74 Bronco 6 cylinder used part number C6TZ-8005-P, the listed measurements for the core are: 17-1/4" (wide) 17-3/8" (height) 1-1/4" (thick). So with all that being said, it looks like there is a 7/8" difference in height of the core and all other measurements are the same which means the footprint of the Mustang radiator is going to be quite close to what the Bronco calls for and you just might get lucky enough to just have to drill some new mounting holes on the radiator to line up with the existing holes in the core support. This is why I provided the link to the spec sheet for FM-ER002 to better estimate what modifications may be needed.

If it's just the core height that is different, then maybe it will work. With width and thickness being the same, I'm tempted to order one. If everything else lines up and all that is required is a couple new mounting holes, it might be worth it.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Hey @okie4570 just checking to see if you were able to get a radiator measurement. I exchanged a few more emails with the guy at ACP and his last message ended with:

If it's just the core height that is different, then maybe it will work. With width and thickness being the same, I'm tempted to order one. If everything else lines up and all that is required is a couple new mounting holes, it might be worth it.
Dang I completely forgot about it!!! I'll go out to the shop after while or in the morning.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'd just take it to a radiator shop in your town and have them re core it.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
The radiator in the pic is nearly identical, bolt hole spacing is the same. The core measurements are about 1/8" to 1/4" less in the one above than the two that are in my 66's. I forgot to measure the core thickness, I will in the morning.

hucklburry rev2

I bought a Napa copper radiator for my 66, for a 65 or 66 mustang, and had to drill I think the 2 lower mounting holes. You can drill the radiator I think, or the core support for sure to match the radiator. So it works fine, the 2 bottom holes were off. If you use the bottom holes as they were, it put the radiator too high if I recall.

OP
OP
66Uncut

66Uncut

Contributor
Loc.
So. Cal
I ordered a 6 cylinder radiator from Tom's and also the ACP FM-ER002. Here are some comparison shots with the upper mounting holes lined up.

The ACP will sit a little bit higher under the hood. I'm not sure if this extra height will interfere with anything.
Monosnap_2023-09-21_22-53-18.png

There is just barely enough room to drill a new mounting hole at the bottom.
Monosnap_2023-09-21_22-54-05.png

Monosnap_2023-09-21_22-55-58.png

I'm still deciding if I'll try and drill the ACP or just stick with the Tom's.

OP
OP
66Uncut

66Uncut

Contributor
Loc.
So. Cal
Final update on this. The ACP was installed but it required some modification. The upper nipple on the ACP is further from the edge than it is on the Tom's radiator and would have interfered with the fan. One of the shop guys had experience making custom radiators for hot rods and was able to relocate the nipple to give the fan plenty of clearance. Also, the bottom mounting holes were used and new holes were drilled at the top.

It's not perfect as there are still some subtle differences in the OE offset radiator compared to the ACP, but I'm happy with the way it turned out.

I'd still love to know from where all the 66 restoration guys are sourcing their offset OE radiators.

Monosnap_2023-10-07_13-05-42.png

Monosnap_2023-10-07_13-07-08.png

Monosnap_2023-10-07_13-07-45.png

Monosnap_2023-10-07_13-08-29.png

Monosnap_2023-10-07_13-09-01.png