• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Adios aod, looking for 4r70w

G's Baja Bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sunny SO CAL
SICK OF THE AOD, $500 AND 4 DAYS WORK, STILL NO 3RD OR 4TH AND NOW SUPER SHORT 1ST AND SLOW SHIFT TO 2ND.

let me know what year and model I can pull the 4r70w from that will bolt on to my 5.0l engine and mate to the NP 205 trans. I understand that one from a v6 ranger 4x4 will, I wan to avoid having to disassemble trans to change output shaft.

any one used a 4r70w from an 5.0 explorer wit the NP205?

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
96-01 5.0 Explorer 4x4 4r70w trans will bolt right up to your motor and np-205.

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I think 4wd/awd are the same tail haousing, but someone else will chime in and verify.. I bought a Bauman optishift and wire harness for mine.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
AWD/4WD are the same tailhousing
Don't look at Rangers, they never had any. 5.0 Explorers are the best in my book. The 4.2 V6 F150 will also work, aparently some of those were offered in 4WD too. Don't use the V6 flexplate, it will be wrong.
I would get the trans harness or you will spend another $150 for the finished one from Baumann. No need for a VSS, computer looks at OSS which is in the transmission harness. VSS is after the transfer case. VSS if you have EFI or cruise control

OP
OP
G's Baja Bronco

G's Baja Bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sunny SO CAL
since I can get a 4r70w from a 96-01 v8 explorer , should I worry about the millage? I am going to look for the lower miles, but the ones I have seen have around 140K.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Your going to have to be real lucky to find one with low miles. I'd concentrate on the '98-'01 years. They have better internals.

OP
OP
G's Baja Bronco

G's Baja Bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sunny SO CAL
cool Thanks, I am going to adjust the TV cable one more time on the AOD, and talk to Silverfox to see is there is an any more diagnostics for the AOD, I just do not want to throw any more good money after bad.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Might as well go with the 6r80 now. yes tail-shafts and adapters are available.

Bronco73

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cape Coral, FL
I'm at work right now but will look when I get home for the link I had saved of some one using a 78/79 column and then they grafted in a shifter lever from an AODE truck. What they ended up with was the on-off button on the shift lever on a 79/79 column. This is my plan when ever I get the money and time to finish the project. I have the trans and the contoller and a 78/79 tilt column. Just need to buy the adapter for the D20 and cash for drive shaft work.

I think I posted it on here once. I will see if I can find it.

Found it. Click here.

Last edited:

01Dudley

Loc.
Knoxville
4R70W column linkage

Did anyone figure out how to keep the column shifter with the 4r70w?

LOKAR ACA-1808 AOD/4R70W column shiftage should do the job just fine. Check it out at LOKAR.com and Duff's is now a authorized LOKAR dealer so you shouldn't have any trouble getting pricing for this kit.

01Dudley

Loc.
Knoxville
TV pressure settings?

cool Thanks, I am going to adjust the TV cable one more time on the AOD, and talk to Silverfox to see is there is an any more diagnostics for the AOD, I just do not want to throw any more good money after bad.

What TV cable are you using? The LOKAR cable comes with the needed adjustment tool and the instructions also tell you what to set the tranny pressure at. FYI Duff's is a authorized LOKAR dealer.

OP
OP
G's Baja Bronco

G's Baja Bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sunny SO CAL
glad to see some one is getting benefit from the thread, LOL JK

I went ahead and under advisement from Baumman, buying a B&M 2000 rpm stall Torke Master TQ. will give the AOD one last chance.

I will keep an eye out for an 4R70W from a 96-2001 exploder v8 awd, per Baumman.

any one used the computer and harness to control both engine and trans, from a 96-01 exploder? I now I will not be able to adjust shift points, and the power curve will be less powerful than my 9AL stang computer. JUST CURIOUS :cool:

Broncobowsher

Total hack
glad to see some one is getting benefit from the thread, LOL JK

I went ahead and under advisement from Baumman, buying a B&M 2000 rpm stall Torke Master TQ. will give the AOD one last chance.

I will keep an eye out for an 4R70W from a 96-2001 exploder v8 awd, per Baumman.

any one used the computer and harness to control both engine and trans, from a 96-01 exploder? I now I will not be able to adjust shift points, and the power curve will be less powerful than my 9AL stang computer. JUST CURIOUS :cool:

There is one OBD-II Explorer conversion on this board. Ben working on it for years. I know he got it running, but don't remember anything about driving. Hard swap to do.