• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Adjustable Trac Bar??

basher13

Loc.
East of Renton
After some searching and reading and then measuring I now have questions.
I installed the adjustable trac bar from Tom's tonight and with the drop bracket it didn't look right. Stock pitman arm, took the drop bracket off and ran out the threads some more and the two bars look to be on the money.
If I'm missing something let me know, the other thing is the bushings on the frame side fit the drop bracket but not the stock mount. WTF?

One more thing, can I get tapered bushings for my TRE and flip them to the top? I want to go to BC's set up but need to stop spending money for a lil bit.
Thanks

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Not sure about your drop bracket issues. If you want to go TRO with the bushings you will need to ream out the knuckles for em to fit. You will also need to ream the tie rod where the drag link hits it. If you go TRO with a 3 1/2" lift you won't need the trak bar drop bracket. You may want to post your lift size to help with responses.

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
After some searching and reading and then measuring I now have questions.
I installed the adjustable trac bar from Tom's tonight and with the drop bracket it didn't look right. Stock pitman arm, took the drop bracket off and ran out the threads some more and the two bars look to be on the money.
If I'm missing something let me know, the other thing is the bushings on the frame side fit the drop bracket but not the stock mount. WTF?

One more thing, can I get tapered bushings for my TRE and flip them to the top? I want to go to BC's set up but need to stop spending money for a lil bit.
Thanks
The purpose of a track bar is to center the axle under the EB.
If the bolt or bushing is a little loose you will have death wobble so you need to figure that out.
The track bar and drag link being parallel to avoid bump steer is only a 'rule of thumb' but it will get you close. On a 3.5" lift you must use both the track bar drop bracket and drop pitman arm or neither, if you use either one alone with a 3.5" lift you will have bump steer unless you go tie rod over, then you will need to leave the drop pitman arm off and use the stock one. If you go tie rod over with a 3.5" lift check to be sure your track bar drop bracket will not hit the tie rod on compression. If it will you will need to go with a track bar raise bracket. Now about the TRO, yes you can use the stock tie rod and drag link. Depending on the year of the knuckles and tie rod/ drag link you will need from no bushing (76-77 knuckles and 66-75 tie rods) to 5 bushings with the early knuckles and tie rod.

OP
OP
basher13

basher13

Loc.
East of Renton
Thanks guys. I went and looked again at my tracbar, it looks like with the drop bracket being on there from the PO it has "pinched" the stock bracket closed about a 1/4", just need to spread that and it should slide up and in.

Info on the truck
74 wagon, 3.5" lift with Deaver springs and Cage arms/shocks
Running Toms adjustable trac bar with no drop and stock pitman arm,
We'll see