• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Adjustable trac bar - Too Short?

BruiserOutdoors

I went to install my adjustable trac bar, but the heim joint is too short. I measured the axle and it seems fairly centered under the frame (within 1"). What gives? Should I order a longer heim joint or ?

This trac bar came with the axle, and the heim does not appear to be shortened. I am using a HD trac bar drop bracket (upper hole) and a WH riser bracket, (1st hole up).

20230114_155122.jpg 20230105_201448.jpg

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
That is the extended version of the heim joint. There is no need to set the length of the track bar until the suspension is compressed at ride height, the axle will never be centered at full compression or full droop, it will only be centered at ride height, which will make the track bar shorter due to the arc it runs in. so for now connect it and then adjust it at ride height.

As a side note, if the track bar is too short so is the drag link. So as stated don't worry about it until it is at ride height.

OP
OP
BruiserOutdoors

BruiserOutdoors

That is the extended version of the heim joint. There is no need to set the length of the track bar until the suspension is compressed at ride height, the axle will never be centered at full compression or full droop, it will only be centered at ride height, which will make the track bar shorter due to the arc it runs in. so for now connect it and then adjust it at ride height.

As a side note, if the track bar is too short so is the drag link. So as stated don't worry about it until it is at ride height.
hard to visualize how the trac bar will be shorter under compression but good to know. thank you!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Try compressing the suspension down to expected ride height, and watch what it does.
If nothing else, it's closer to the frame mount. And that alone will "shorten" the distance the trackbar needs to cover.

You have a long travel suspension it looks like. And no driveshaft yet? Up on frame stands with the suspension relaxed at full droop maybe?
If so, there is ALWAYS something else that is going to be the shortest link and limit wheel travel. If you want a long-travel trackbar and draglink and driveshaft and any other thing, you are going to have to custom make it.
Your draglink is a little longer than the original, so that has a little more travel built in. But only as far as is safe for the type of rod end joints it uses.
To be close, the trackbar also has to be longer than stock (they travel in the same arc after all) and mounted farther apart.

As Yeller said, the ONLY way to mock up your suspension and steering components so that they work together, at least under most conditions, is to set them up for ride height correctness.
What height suspension are you running? Looks like it's set up for a tall one, what with the tie-rod over configuration, with a riser and drop bracket.
Whatever your lift is, compress the suspension (ratchet straps work for this) until the measurement between the top of the axle tube and the bottom of the frame rails is 7-inches plus whatever your lift. Approximately...
So if it's a 4.5" lift, get the distance to approx. 11-12 inches and see if the trackbar will hook up at this point.

Paul

OP
OP
BruiserOutdoors

BruiserOutdoors

3.5" suspension. the drop bracket was installed before I bought the axle with the riser. I will likely use the upper trac bar bracket hole for parallelness with the drag link.

I will compress the suspension as mentioned and see where things are at.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Sounds good. Looking forward to hearing how it sets up (because that's a big gap right now!) and how your shock mounts line up as well from the other discussion.
Having both a drop and a riser certainly gives you options for mounting the draglink. And only an actual mock-up (unless you're a geometry genius) will tell the tale at ride height.
With the TRO and longer draglink mounted in a non-stock location, having more leeway in mounting the trackbar is a good thing.
That will also let you determine whether a stock, or dropped pitman arm is a better choice as well.

Paul

OP
OP
BruiserOutdoors

BruiserOutdoors

Sounds good. Looking forward to hearing how it sets up (because that's a big gap right now!) and how your shock mounts line up as well from the other discussion.
Having both a drop and a riser certainly gives you options for mounting the draglink. And only an actual mock-up (unless you're a geometry genius) will tell the tale at ride height.
With the TRO and longer draglink mounted in a non-stock location, having more leeway in mounting the trackbar is a good thing.
That will also let you determine whether a stock, or dropped pitman arm is a better choice as well.

Paul
lets hope the stock arm on the 4x4x2 box is the right choice as it is already reamed to fit!

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
like yeller stated. got to do it at ride height with all your weight on it. engine, bumper, winch and everything else.