• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

ADMIN - Beware of scam offering to buy your Bronco

admin

Administrator
Just your friendly, neighborhood webmaster...
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
This has come up before, but I wanted to remind people since apparently members here have been targeted recently.

Be EXTREMELY cautious if someone offers to buy your Bronco for more than your asking price and sight unseen. ESPECIALLY if the buyer is overseas. It's probably a scam.

Here's how it works...

They send you a cashiers check for the sale amount plus extra to pay their friend for shipping (or customs or processing, etc.). So say you're selling for $7,000. They'll send you a cashiers check for $10,000. They send you the check. You cash it and wait a couple days for it to clear. The friend comes and picks up the truck and the extra $3,000 for shipping. A week later your bank calls and says, "Oops, the check was a fraud and didn't actually clear. Sorry!" They pull the money back out of your account.

Doh!!! You're now out 1 truck and $3,000. :'(

Previous posts in these forums by members:
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50566
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50471

More related web pages here:
http://www.craigslist.org/about/scams.html
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/11/01/eveningnews/main527883.shtml
http://www.scamvictimsunited.com/counterfeit_cashier's_check.htm

jason

Loc.
harned, ky
yeah, i just had som SOB try to pull the same scam on me last night on ebay. come to find out, this guy was in israel. hey said hey had a customer over here(us) that owed him $6700. hey said if i would give him my name, address, phone # etc. he would have this person send me the $6700 check. i would cash it, deduct my $2000 and send the rest to him through western union! then he would arrange for the shipping. %)

Jimmyjames

Loc.
Romulus, AL
I have heard of others doing this same thing on Ebay for SEC Championship tix and Sugar Bowl tickets as well.

Jimmyjames

LSUpete

Contributor
Bronco Guru
ANYONE who sells their vehicle and does not request cash, is a straight up idiot and deserves to be taken to the cleaners.

FELLAS, you all know that I sell my Broncos once I'm finished restoring them.......and I always demand cash money. Hell, the guy who purchased my last Bronco had to bring 25k to the house. You should have heard him propose all different kinds of payment options......all of which were answered with..."sorry, cash only".

Krawln68

Loc.
Newark, CA
Definatley more than just cars, some body tried that with a really expensive mountain bike i sold on ebay.

77BroncoWag

Contributor
Bronco Guru
and I always demand cash money. Hell, the guy who purchased my last Bronco had to bring 25k to the house.

Yikes so if I wanna buy one of your rigs I gotta get me a armed bodyguard ;D

LSUpete

Contributor
Bronco Guru
We'll see, because I'm about to list my latest one for sale.....and I KNOW you'll want this one.

:cool:

pooterpot

Loc.
Lumberton, Texas
happened to me twice. some guy in russia told me he was going to buy my bronco for his wife and its not even for sale. another in the UAE told me he was going to buy it for like 20000

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Scam

This is a scam and it works! A friend of my wife's just got took by it last November... She's out her money

bronco italiano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The only way to track the guy down is be heads up and alert the proper authorities immediately so tracking can start before any electronic tranfers are done. By the way, when it's done electronically, by mail, or phone it is a federal crime. I might have some clown right now in regards to an item of mine. I will keep you posted if it pans out or not. BI

FFMDX

Loc.
Roseville, CA
My father just received an e-mail regarding his vehicle for sale. Unfortunately , he was told that here was no way of tracking these people.

ebman74

Loc.
Manassas, VA
This may be happening to me right now! I am advertising my Bronco here as well as Jeff's Bronco Graveyard and Bronco.com. I got a reply from Broncograveyard with a guy who asked what the condition and current price was,even though this info was listed. I e-mailed him back and explained in greater detail the condition of the bronco. I just went to check the original reply on broncograveyard and they state that the user has lost his privileges and sorry for the inconvenience. I just checked my e-mail and found the following message...
Cordell'
thanks for your reply,well i have already inform my client about all you said becuase it was my client who saw the ad before contcating me for the buying and my client wants the car but the problem now is the amount ,if you can collect 11500$ i think we will like then your price of 11500$,so if it ok then let no immediately.but can you put all dosething that are not inother or are we to put it by ourself ,let me know.

thanks

Alexander

Sounds fishy!!!!!

74bronc

Bronco Guru
ebman74 said:
This may be happening to me right now! I am advertising my Bronco here as well as Jeff's Bronco Graveyard and Bronco.com. I got a reply from Broncograveyard with a guy who asked what the condition and current price was,even though this info was listed. I e-mailed him back and explained in greater detail the condition of the bronco. I just went to check the original reply on broncograveyard and they state that the user has lost his previlages and sorry for the inconveniounce. I just checked my e-mail and found the following message...
Cordell'
thanks for your reply,well i have already inform my client about all you said becuase it was my client who saw the ad before contcating me for the buying and my client wants the car but the problem now is the amount ,if you can collect 11500$ i think we will like then your price of 11500$,so if it ok then let no immediately.but can you put all dosething that are not inother or are we to put it by ourself ,let me know.

thanks

Alexander

Sounds fishy!!!!!

definitely run from this one......

Mikeg23

Loc.
Greenwood, IN
I just wanted to reply to this thread because this very thing happened to me, fortunatly I didn't lose any money but I came very close to losing alot. The guy that e-mailed me said he was from holland and had a client in New York. He sent me $9000 for a $4500 Bronco. I put the cashiers check in the bank and even asked the teller if there was anyway that it could be a fraud. She said no way. I waited for a couple days and then started the transaction, but backed out and waited for another week. Turns out the cashiers check, which had water marks and everthing, was a fake.

I found alot of information supporting that this was part of what is called the Nigerian 419 scam. I called the United States Secret Service office in Indiana and they told me there was nothing that they could do about it because the offenders were in Nigeria.

OP
OP
admin

admin

Administrator
Just your friendly, neighborhood webmaster...
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
Mikeg23, glad you took the extra time to be sure. I hope you chewed out the bank teller. Of all people they should be aware of this scam and let you know how long it really takes to verify a cashiers check. They always say just a couple of days, but it's obviously not the case.