• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Advance adapters ZF to D20 help

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I'm 80% of the way to starting my ZF swap (should have all the parts next month) and am confused just a bit on the ZF to D20 adapter.

Received my kit from AA which had no instructions in it. Went to their website and found the instructions which are kind of useless IMO. The Parts list (i.e. kit list) has no reference to a D20 input shaft seal. My kit doesn't have a D20 input seal included in it and the instructions are little more than a list of items (no seal listed) and a picture. I can't find an input shat seal identified/installed in the picture.

I watched a video from Tom's for a NV3550 adapter and they referenced an input shaft seal and installed it in the adaptor. I assume the ZF to D20 uses one too and the kit just doesn't come with it anymore or maybe it never did?

Is this still correct information for the seal? (from 2014 "Viperwolf1")
Seals:
Input shaft seal (double lip)-CR #517383,Napa #NOS 18676, CR #18676 (good seal) (Do not use Timken #473179)

Does it install in the adapter just the same as in the video from Tom's?

Tim

rjlougee

Bronco Guru
Yes, this should have the seal in there. AND... I see Amazon has the SKF 18676 for $33, lowest price on Ebay is $38. RockAuto is out of stock, most other online retailers can't seem to find it for the little time I devoted to the search...

IIRC AA makes all of their D20 adapters so they take the inner bearing retainer piece (which is where the seal presses into, as well as the bearing). Personally, I don't like that design, but when you're mass producing product, probably makes it easier.

I just watched the video you mentioned and YES, just like that.
HTH, Joe

Last edited:
OP
OP
Timmy390

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Thanks for the info........I agree it SHOULD be included but It's not shown in the pictures of the kit not listed in the kit instructions. I just looked again and it's not in the kit I received.

Been looking and I can get the whole D20 gasket kit and seals from the venders for $29 plus shipping. Nothing on my D20 is leaking so maybe just get the seal and call it a day. Just one more thing to add top the list of needed parts.....

Tim

rjlougee

Bronco Guru
OK, let me amend my previous post. You **may** not need a seal in there. When I did my adapters, I built them using the seal, because it was intended to be put on manual AND auto transmissions.

With the ZF, the back of the housing isn't a "wet" area, so you don't need the seal to keep trans fluid out of the transfer case.

If the seal would fit, I would probably install one to keep gear oil from the D20 out of the transmission tail-housing.
HTH, Joe

OP
OP
Timmy390

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
OK, let me amend my previous post. You **may** not need a seal in there. When I did my adapters, I built them using the seal, because it was intended to be put on manual AND auto transmissions.

With the ZF, the back of the housing isn't a "wet" area, so you don't need the seal to keep trans fluid out of the transfer case.

If the seal would fit, I would probably install one to keep gear oil from the D20 out of the transmission tail-housing.
HTH, Joe
Right.....ZF 4x4 rear housing isn't wet and the seal (in my eyes) is needed to keep the D20 gear oil from "weeping" past the pressed in bearing/spud shaft and into the ZF housing. I know it's a sealed bearing and a press fit but I expect it will leak in the long run. No drips...I hate drips

Tim

Jedeka

Contributor
I am going to use a Ford M5OD transmission with the BC ZF kit. I called and talked to someone at BC or Advance Adapter. I was told I didn’t need the seal for my application, but wouldn’t hurt to install a seal. I used SKF 21064 seal.