• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Advice for a first time Bronco buyer

vaporwares

Hi All,

A few years ago I sold my 73 Toyota Landcruiser that I had restored due to the birth of my son. Now three years later I want a new 4x4 to have some fun with and get my son interested in my hobby. I have been doing some research and also looking at some local listings on Craigslist. Below is a link to a Bronco that I like (1975 with uncut fenders) and I am wondering if anyone has any comments on the vehicle or if they can share any questions that I need to ask... Lastly, is the price fair?

http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/cto/3620976282.html

Thanks for any and all replies,
Frank

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Welcome aboard Frank!!! Looks like a pretty nice Rig there.

I'd say that Price is real close. Of course always go w/cash and offer less. :)

What are your plans for a Rig? Mostly on the road, half and half..?

Last edited:

Bucky66

Hope all goes well with your hunt for an EB. That is a really nice truck. Looks like a keeper. Just wanted to remind you to really take a good look when you get there. I just went and looked at one around my parents house in Louisiana at a shop. It had newer paint and the said it was a solid truck with only a little TLC needed and all stock. He wanted $14,500 i think. I started looking around and rust all over. The floor pans were all coated with tar and interior area by the front door post was filled with Bondo and painted over alon with other areas. It had a carpet kit that hid most of this but there was still more to find but I just quit looking after there was rust comint through the paint under the rocker panels. Anyway... it was no where near what I would consider a 14,500 truck. Make sure you go over any truck with a good eye.

Good luck and get what you want

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
Welcome to the club! That rig is nice and price is ok so long as the PO can provide you documented proof on what has been done. Too often you can find a rebuilt motor for sale that has been really just freshened up. You want to see the detail paperwork for parts, machining etc. for the engine and trans. Also look the rig over carefully, door posts, inner fenders etc. to look for rust. Take cash and def offer less, cash deals always have a better chance at a bargain.

Fireball05

Bronco Guru
I've seen that ad before, it's been for sale for a little bit. It looks pretty darn good from the photos, but like was said above, and is true for any Bronco, make sure to give it a really thorough going-over. If its rust free and runs and drives as good as it looks, that's not a bad price.

The ad says 4" lift and 30" tires. That doesn't look to be accurate from my uncalibrated eye and limited experience. Looks closer to a 2.5" lift. If you haven't scrolled through it already, here's an awesome thread full of other LUBERs, have at least an hour on hand before clicking this link! http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178183&highlight=LUBER

Lennardlector

Contributor
I'm in the restoration business, had a 74 FJ that I put a Chevy 350 in. Loved the thing to death but for some reason I love my roughly stock EB more.

Bucky is right, go over it with a fine tooth comb. You'd be surprised what can be transformed from shit to show with some mineral spirits and rattle can. I looked at probably 10 EB's before I decided to buy a shit one and fix it myself. It wasn't because I was picky, I just gave the sellers a list of what I wasn't looking for and sure enough when I went over it I found problems.

To me 18k is a lot for a car, if I was unaware what to look for I would go in half with the seller and have a reputable shop do a pre purchase inspection. At the very least look for chassis/body rust, how the paint is holding up, suspension rot, compression test.

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It s looks good. It probably has front drum brakes that you might want to switch out to disk

TwoDalesDad

Bronco Guru
I believe I would listen to some great advice...Have the thing inspected by a reputable shop first. I would then offer less but, With your cooler in hand along with the wife ,the son,and the dog...he may relize..its sold...That bronko is awfully straight! !

OP
OP
V

vaporwares

Hi,

The rig does look nice. I plan to go and see it next weekend. I will go in with cash and see how much I can walk away with. I plan to make some slight mods, but I really like the look it has now so I am thinking I can only do half and half, because if I want full off-road this is the wrong truck! Thanks for your reply.

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
Ya that bronco look nice but no way would i spend 18K on a 40year truck. WOW! You obviously have more money than i do! Which is good because a bronco is a HUGE money pit. Id still expect to dump 5k into that truck withen the first few years. Good luck on your purchase.

OP
OP
V

vaporwares

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate the comments. I will be bringing a mechanic/body guy with me just to have a second set of eyes.

OP
OP
V

vaporwares

I've seen that ad before, it's been for sale for a little bit. It looks pretty darn good from the photos, but like was said above, and is true for any Bronco, make sure to give it a really thorough going-over. If its rust free and runs and drives as good as it looks, that's not a bad price.

The ad says 4" lift and 30" tires. That doesn't look to be accurate from my uncalibrated eye and limited experience. Looks closer to a 2.5" lift. If you haven't scrolled through it already, here's an awesome thread full of other LUBERs, have at least an hour on hand before clicking this link! http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178183&highlight=LUBER

I guess I need to learn what "LUBER" stands for (although I can see its uncut trucks)

OP
OP
V

vaporwares

This is a lot of good info everyone. Thank you. I will check this bronco out in the next two weeks and then decide which way to go. Spend a lot if its worth it or spend less and enjoy maybe enjoy it just the same.... Although here is another complete resto of a 67
http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/cto/3700932029.html.... just a lot of coin to drop and then you never want to get it dirty.

Fireball05

Bronco Guru
LUBER = Lifted Uncut Bronco. Uncut = uncut, original rear fenders.

I'd be pretty wary of that 2nd one you posted. Only 200 miles since the rebuild probably isn't enough to shake out any potential problems. Plus that means it was likely built with the intention to sell, which would make me pretty nervous. Looks like some serious corners cut...didn't paint the underside of the hood, they had the body off but didn't paint the engine bay nicely or paint the cowl? Overspray on the passenger side airbox? I don't recognize that lift kit as one available from one of the familiar vendors...

The first one you posted might be too pretty to do any serious wheeling with!

OP
OP
V

vaporwares

Thanks for the LUBER education! Nice observations on the resto bronco. I am sure it was restored with the intent to sell (Did you see the bronco resto on the show "Fast and Load" three weeks ago?). You are right that the white bronco may be too pretty for wheelin, but I think I will check it out just so I have a baseline of what that kind of price offers in a bronco. I plan to call on the truck this weekend. I will let you know what I find out! Have a good holiday weekend!

OP
OP
V

vaporwares

Hi Again Folks,

So I never bought that white LUBER as it was gone when I did reach out, but finally here is another that I may call on tonight and check out this weekend. Feel free to share any thoughts as the last comments/posts were extremely helpful.

http://cnj.craigslist.org/cto/4094310175.html

Thanks,
Frank