• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Advice: My Bronco has 5" Suspension and 2" Body Lift

OldStyleBronco

Loc.
Oahu / LA / DC
My Bronco is too tall for my application.

I want to lower it. It's 11.5" from frame to front axle. It has 3/4" urethane bushings with 2" hard pucks for the body lift.

I think I want to go with a 2.5" Suspension lift and get the front more inline with factory specs.

Then I thought I'd cut the pucks down to 1/2" and keep the urethane bushings.

That should get me from a 6.5"-7" lift down to a 3". That should be plenty for stability on the road, light trails and aesthetics.

Is there any benefit to having more suspension vs body or visa versa?

Lmfp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lake Charles, LA
Depends what size tire you want to run. Imo suspension lifts look better. 2.5" suspension and 1" body looks good but dont Plan on running big meats on it. Im running 2.5" suspension and 33s and love the look. Its also plenty for what i have planned for mine.

Lmfp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lake Charles, LA
Yeah 2.5" susp and 1" body and youll have plenty of clearence for 33". If you bump up to 35's youll rub. Im sure someones made it wOrk woth trimming but im not that worried about 1 more inch of height.

TN1776

Bronco Guru
Body lifts are handy... they give you a bit more clearance for certain tranny swaps and other aftermarket goodies. I run a 2" BL and 4.5" suspension but I take mine in the rocks so I need the clearance. While I'd consider dropping my suspension a little more one day I'll never ditch the body lift.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
I am a fan of both a mild suspension lift plus a mild body lift. People who hate body lifts usually think of the posers with no SL and 6 inch BL! BL will add some clearnace for tires and other things, as TN1776 mentioned, but adds the height while raising the COG LESS than the same amount of SL. I run 3 1/2 + 1 on mine with 35's.

Tasty Geezer

Here is a pic for comparison...
2-1/2" Wild Horses suspension lift and no body lift w/ 33" BFG AT's

I originally had a 4" suspension lift in the front with add a leafs in the rear. lowering the front down to 2-1/2" I noticed that it handled much better.

Attachments

• bikini 3.jpg
    bikini 3.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 44

xcntrk

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NOVA
Are your fenders cut? You can easily fit 33's with just 2.5" suspension and no body lift with cut fenders.

OP
OP
OldStyleBronco

OldStyleBronco

Loc.
Oahu / LA / DC
Yep, my fenders are cut.

Thanks guy, for the info... The pictures are a big help too.

I do remember talk about body lifts making the vehicle more unstable and suspension lifts being favored. But, the front end angles with the high suspension lift are affecting the handling from what I can tell. I do have the drop pitman and ext. for the trac bar, but I still think the road ride would benefit from 3" or less suspension lift.

Nice to see some local guys here too. I'm in Rockville if you want to check it out. PM me...

I'm leaning towards 2.5" suspension and cutting the body lift blocks down to .75" and seeing how it rides / looks.

Anyone need a 5" lift setup?