• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Aero fuel tank vent

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
Got my fuel tank mounting brackets welded in and noticed they didn't put a vent in the tank. No bung or anything. Called Jake and he sent one. I was wondering if it needs to be on there when it will have a vented fuel cap. Would the fuel fill vent be adequate with a vented cap. It will be an EFI with pump n tank. Thanks, Ken

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
My 2 cents... As long as it is out and not installed, have a bung welded in on the top for the fitting. This is more for a breather for the CC.
If you have fuel smells down the road later, and add a CC, It will be much harder to put the bung in then...

I have always had the top port and vent, so I cannot answer the last part of your question...

blknblu69v

My 69’ had an aftermarket aux fuel tank with no breather tube in the fill neck. Could not get more than a 1/2 gallon in it without it vapor locking and stopping the filling process. I ordered a new neck with the breather but tank only had a port in the end about 1/2 way up. Now I can only get two gallons in it! Now in process of dropping tank and installing new vent into top of tank and attaching hose to neck vent tube.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
I would re-think the vented cap. those always vent and smell of fuel. When they're not leaking fuel when leaned over.

Go with the vent and the vapor separator regardless of whether or not you use a charcoal canister. If you don't use a canister then just put a plastic fuel filter for a carb system on the end of the vent hose coming off the top of the separator.

OP
OP
bronkenn

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
I would re-think the vented cap. those always vent and smell of fuel. When they're not leaking fuel when leaned over.

Go with the vent and the vapor separator regardless of whether or not you use a charcoal canister. If you don't use a canister then just put a plastic fuel filter for a carb system on the end of the vent hose coming off the top of the separator.

This is what I'm leaning to. Ken