• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Aero fuel tank

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Excuse my ignorance on fuel systems. This will be my first venture into EFI so bare with me lol.

I'm told the Coyote needs 55 psi constant. I didn't see an EFI option on the Aero website, but then again maybe I didn't look hard enough. I don't think the coyote requires anything special. Just a higher flow fuel pump and AN fittings for feed and return right?

EFI needs pressure and flow...
So you will need to find out how many gallons per hr at 55psi.

Having not played with a Coyote swap I am guessing it is a single supply line, returnless system? Which means that there is a in the tank regulator on the factory pump. Or you can plumb in an external regulator, that sends the excess back to the tank.

Aero has three EFI set ups: External pump, internal Mustang type pump, and Explorer pump assembly drop in.

For an external pump, they will build a slosh box around the pick up tube and increase the tube size to 3/8" instead of 5/16".

Internal Mustang pump mounts to their pick-up assembly and has the return line incorporated with that.

Explorer - either one with a return line or single line systems. You basically take a 97-2001 Explorer factory pump assembly and mount it to the tank.

Aero does not offer AN fittings, but you call and ask Jake they might be able to add them.

I have done 4 Mass Buys with Aero tanks for www.norcalbroncos.com and I consider myself well versed with their product.

OP
OP
bronkenn

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
The one I just ordered comes with regular flared fittings. I asked Jake about AN fittings and he said they don't do that. It is an in tank fuel pump style and it is shipped ready to install your pump of choice. The shipping estimate you see on their website isn't accurate either. It showed 180 bucks shipped and it turned out to be 80 bucks to ship it.Ken

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
The one I just ordered comes with regular flared fittings. I asked Jake about AN fittings and he said they don't do that. It is an in tank fuel pump style and it is shipped ready to install your pump of choice. The shipping estimate you see on their website isn't accurate either. It showed 180 bucks shipped and it turned out to be 80 bucks to ship it.Ken

Thanks for that update Ken. Jake is a great resource and willing to make mods to sell his product.
Yeah shipping... It really adds to the cost of things:eek:
I was looking to ship a Tank to CO and it was going to be $80-90... it was a deal breaker for the Buyer.

OP
OP
bronkenn

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
Thanks for that update Ken. Jake is a great resource and willing to make mods to sell his product.
Yeah shipping... It really adds to the cost of things:eek:
I was looking to ship a Tank to CO and it was going to be $80-90... it was a deal breaker for the Buyer.
Thank you also for all the input you have given on these tanks. It helped me out when I ordered it. Ken

74BroncoCO

Bronco Guru
I am glad to hear of the good experiences here with Aero. I have spoken with Jake, but it seems there is always other priorities on the bronco. I wanted to have them make it shallower than the 23 gal version, but also add a cut-out to the front of the tank because I want to push the rear axle back. Didn't seem to be an issue. I just need to pull the trigger, but I am thankful to know I should get the mounting brackets loose!

My current tank has seen better days, but has not leaked from the tank. Only leak was a rotted sender gasket.

callmemarsh

How hard would it be to change over to AN from flared since it doesn't seem like that's an option from Aero.

Again, forgive my ignorance, but how is the fuel pump plumbed in? Anybody have pics/diagrams/drawings of how the Aero EFI tank is set up?

Like I said, I'm getting the 14 F150 tank and pump so I'll be able to rig it all up. Then I can make my decision on a tank once I get familiar with the whole system.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Areo tank with 2000 Explorer, non return system...

Areo tank with Mustang style pump and sock

I think you need to see what the F150 pump assembly looks like and then go from there.

I am guessing you will have one discharge on the pump assembly, and it might work in the 1st picture.
And if so, it should be easy to get a fitting to adapt it to AN.

Attachments

• DSCN3548.jpg
    DSCN3548.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 134
  • EFI Tank5.JPG
    EFI Tank5.JPG
    126.6 KB · Views: 125
  • EFI Pump2.JPG
    EFI Pump2.JPG
    108.5 KB · Views: 113

American180

Loc.
Mount Washington, Ky
I think you need to see what the F150 pump assembly looks like and then go from there.

Not sure if these help but it's from a 2014 F150 5.0. These pumps have a fuel control module as well. Wish I knew if we could bypass that module or not.

Attachments

• IMG_1475.jpg
    IMG_1475.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1476.jpg
    IMG_1476.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1477.jpg
    IMG_1477.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1478.jpg
    IMG_1478.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 21

callmemarsh

Thanks for the info 904Bronco and American180, those pictures are very helpful!

The Aero tank looks pretty easy to set up with an aftermarket pump.

That F150 assembly looks more complicated than I thought (of course). Is that the feed and return on top?

Tiko433

Contributor
I know just enough to be dangerous
Loc.
South West Florida
Thanks for the info 904Bronco and American180, those pictures are very helpful!

The Aero tank looks pretty easy to set up with an aftermarket pump.

That F150 assembly looks more complicated than I thought (of course). Is that the feed and return on top?

Call Areo They can set up exactly what you need. I ordered my tank from them , they will talk over what you are planning and build what you need

Casey835

Areo tank with 2000 Explorer, non return system...

Areo tank with Mustang style pump and sock

I am guessing you will have one discharge on the pump assembly, and it might work in the 1st picture.
And if so, it should be easy to get a fitting to adapt it to AN.

I’m looking at your 2000 nonreturn tank pic, I’m doing a 99 nonreturn. My question is that fitting on the very top with the hose on it, where does that go?

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
I’m looking at your 2000 nonreturn tank pic, I’m doing a 99 nonreturn. My question is that fitting on the very top with the hose on it, where does that go?

Casey,
That is the rollover vent valve supplied by Aero and it goes to my Charcoal canister in the engine compartment.
Doug

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I was going to jump in to that conversation too Doug. I notice that in one pic you only have the one (the rollover valve) while in the next pic there are two fittings on top of the tank.
One is the usual rollover, and the other looks like a simple 90 fitting.
What is the second one plumbed to?

Thanks

Paul

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
I was going to jump in to that conversation too Doug. I notice that in one pic you only have the one (the rollover valve) while in the next pic there are two fittings on top of the tank.
One is the usual rollover, and the other looks like a simple 90 fitting.
What is the second one plumbed to?

Thanks

Paul

Thread #27 ?

That was an extra port I had Aero install so I could pump fuel from my front (non EFI) tank into my rear EFI tank... It was on my 77 that the guy in Reno bought sooo many years ago.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ah yes, I did't even look in the background. But there it is right there!

Thanks

Paul