• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Aero fuel tank

Mr. Lav

Have a question. I have an Aero fuel tank, the question is how did you mount the front brackets to the cross member. did you cut an access hole in the frame so you could get a bolt in there. the side brackets are easy to access with the bumper is off. Thanks for your input.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Holes in the frame crossmember line up with the mounting tabs that are welded to the tank front. Just a matter of centering the tank between the frame and drilling the holes in the mounting tabs. Frame off, I drop the bolts down, non frame off the bolts get pushed up.
Shims, I think I have had to shim every tank I have bought from them...

Attachments

• IMG_20181004_121431307.jpg
    IMG_20181004_121431307.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 107

Jasonj105

I drilled two 3/4 holes in the cross member, then cut in-between them creating a nice little oval. I drilled a hole in a piece of 1/8 flat steel and welded a nut too it. Used some wire to pull it up through and ran the bolt up into the frame, sandwiching the frame between the flat steel and tank bracket. Make sure you cut the steel long enough that it wont spin inside the crossmember. Seems plenty secure to me. And yes like 904Bronco said, I had to shim the front mounts about 3/8"

Slednut10

Contributor
Guru? That's funny!
My crossmember had holes that lined up top to bottom so I used a long bolt with the nut on top. I ordered the tank with the mounts loose and welded them myself, so lining up the holes was simpler.

OP
OP
M

Mr. Lav

Thanks mine doesn't have any holes predrilled in the crossmember so looks like
i will be drilling them