• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

air bumps or JounceShock installation

superfly53

Loc.
Coos Bay
Anyone out there used bumpstops such as the JounceShock? I have read a lot of good things about their ability to greatly increase the big hit capability of the rig they are put on.
where would be the best place to put such a product, i.e. directly under the frame or should they be off set to give more room? My frame to bumpstop pad clearance is only 7 inches in front and 8 inches in the rear.

Thanks.

kntr

Bronco Guru
Dustin at Sexton Offroad sells the Jounce. He is on the list. He is doing a Jounce order this week. You might get ahold of him.

Last edited:

TonyPDX

Contributor
I mounted mine to the sides of the frame because their is not room under the frame... It is behind the shock in the picture.

Tony

Attachments

• IMG_0195.jpg.jpg
    IMG_0195.jpg.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 377

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
superfly53 said:
Anyone out there used bumpstops such as the JounceShock? I have read a lot of good things about their ability to greatly increase the big hit capability of the rig they are put on.
where would be the best place to put such a product, i.e. directly under the frame or should they be off set to give more room? My frame to bumpstop pad clearance is only 7 inches in front and 8 inches in the rear.

Thanks.

I'm sure there are plenty of us that have Jounceshocks on our wish lists. Traditionally I've seen them mounted with sleeves through the frame on EBs (in the front) because of real estate issues with the stock arms, but I'm not crazy about that solution myself.

Tony's pic shows how they (air bumps) can be mounted with the Cage arms since the lower shock mount is different.

This is one benefit I can see with going to coilovers on the front end - frees up lots of real estate for mounting them.

I see air bump kits for EBs as one of the next "big things" in the evolution of suspension systems for our trucks.

Todd Z.

ChrisinWV

Bronco Guru
Loc.
St George Island, MD
I too am interested in seeing mounting options before I get too far with shock mounts.
I will be running home built, and possibly boxed , extended arms.
Traditional coil setup in the front, with Cage's 3 1/2" springs.
I have 14" travel long body bilstiens for the front, and want to run the air bumps too.
I will be prerunning and chasing with this truck so I think the air bumps are a must when that happens.
Any suggestions are welcome....Hope I am not hijacking....

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
ChrisinWV said:
I will be prerunning and chasing with this truck so I think the air bumps are a must when that happens.

Prerunning and chasing in WV? Is that what they call haulin' moonshine these days, Chris? :)

Todd Z.

TonyPDX

Contributor
Chris, you are going to have a hard time prerunning with the CAGE springs unless your Bronco is really light in the front. The CAGE springs really freed up the front suspension on mine, (I picked up about 3-4" or droop) compared to the older progressive Duff springs but the handling is pretty poor now and I think I will still bottom out too much.

Don't get me wrong, I can see why the rock hounds love the CAGE coils but you will need a stiffer spring for the high speed stuff. You will also want a front sway bar with the long arms.... Afterall when your runnin' shine you don't want to get caught!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I have been eyeing those jounce stops for a long while now. I am waiting for the Biestien rep to come out to work again. I have issues when making the high speed runs between the rocks and camp. Not sure how I'll mount mine (if I ever get around to getting them). But I plan to keep my current, fairly stock suspension. I have even talked to the rep about reducing the travel. I know it can be done. I am thining of cutting the travel down from 4" to 2~2½"

ChrisinWV

Bronco Guru
Loc.
St George Island, MD
Yeah, runnin shine.....LOL
No, Todd, actually I will likely be headed out your way when it's done.
I have been asked to chase a score event or two, I think Primm is the one.
Eventually this thing will be headed SOUTH.
IT's really no trouble if I have to swap out a set of front springs for the desert if need be, any other comments regarding that?
I figured the air bumps would help tremendously and the bilstiens should work pretty good for starters.
I can't afford race shocks just yet, but I think the bilstiens I have should work ok....
I like that pic with the bumps mounted right behind the shock.
Seems they would work best together like that
Well as I read closer, Tony, your setup is very similar to what I will be running.
You have the bumps on there now and are still bottoming out?
Maybe a longer bump is in order?
I am very interested in your experience here.
THanks

TonyPDX

Contributor
Chris, I was able to bottom it out before I even put in the CAGE coils with the Air bumps. I need to find a local place to put more nitrogen in them and see if that takes care of it. Air bumps won't make up for too soft of a spring unforunatley. I was hoping that the Cage coils longer working range would help control the bottoming out by keeping the front end on the ground longer but that may have been naive thinking on my part.

I don't think you would want a longer bump stop than these. Actually most of the time a shorter one would be nice. I can hear these hit the arms quiet a bit during normal driving, when turning into driveways. For true prerunning I think these longer ones are better however.

Tony

ChrisinWV

Bronco Guru
Loc.
St George Island, MD
Is there a better choice of coil to use out there, like I said, no biggie to change out the coils before heading west......
I think the cage coils will work fine for the shine runnin around here.
Chris

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
ChrisinWV said:
Is there a better choice of coil to use out there, like I said, no biggie to change out the coils before heading west......
I think the cage coils will work fine for the shine runnin around here.
Chris

I thought I had heard you might be coming out this way, Chris. Good to hear it. For faster desert work, I'm a fan of constant rate springs. If you're looking for something stiffer than the Cage coils, I'd start with some of BC's winch springs, although I haven't ever put my calipers on a pair of them to measure the rate. If those aren't stiff enough, I'd look at getting some custom ones wound.

As far as chasing goes (chasing in the true sense, anyway), there's precious little left here in the U.S. - all saved for Baja. Here in the U.S. we drive from pit to pit in our Super Duties :).

Todd Z.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
For grins I pulled out the Bilstein catalog (was actually needing to look up some high misalignment heims for work but that was another story)

4" travel air bump stop, Part# B46-9104
Extended length 13.2
Colapsed length 9.42
For some reason those numbers just don't add up completely...
Bumpstop over a foot long is going to be a tight fit in a Bronco without a lot of work. Maybe those abondoned duel front shock mounts? Inside the coils?

ChrisinWV

Bronco Guru
Loc.
St George Island, MD
It looks to me like it fits just fine, it will only stick above the frame about five inches.
Look at Tony's pic, you can just see it.
Not sure if that is the same one, but likely.
I am pretty sure those were the ones I looked at.

Thanks Todd, maybe we will meet up out there.
I appreciate the advise, we aint got much sand here in the mountains....

TonyPDX

Contributor
You should be able to see the air bumps better in this picture. This picture was taken with the weight of the Bronco on the axle, thus near ride height. The air bumps are pretty tall but they fit fine. If you notice the position of the O-rings on the shock and air bump you can see the travel I was getting from the old Duff progressive coils, and these Cage springs are significantly softer...

I really want to try running the WH prerunner and BC's winch springs but I don't want to buy them just to try them...

Tony

Attachments

• IMG_0199.jpg.jpg
    IMG_0199.jpg.jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 148

ChrisinWV

Bronco Guru
Loc.
St George Island, MD
As far as chasing goes (chasing in the true sense, anyway), there's precious little left here in the U.S. - all saved for Baja. Here in the U.S. we drive from pit to pit in our Super Duties :).

Don't steal my thunder Todd.....:D
I can do it in a Bronco if I want to can't I?
I will likely just be working in the pits....

Tony, from that shot, it looks like you are setup almost perfect.
I can't really tell from the pic, but do you have the same amount of travel left on the shock and the bump? I think you want the bump to bottom out with just a bit (half inch maybe?) of travel left in the shock.
The air bump is designed to bottom out, but the shock is not.
This may be attributing to your bottoming out feeling.

What about air bags like the old days?
I really like the ride quality of the cage coil.
Don't I just really need to control up travel a bit better?
Seems a bag would be perfect here.
Anyone?
Todd?
Bueller?
Bueller?

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
TonyPDX said:
You should be able to see the air bumps better in this picture. This picture was taken with the weight of the Bronco on the axle, thus near ride height. The air bumps are pretty tall but they fit fine. If you notice the position of the O-rings on the shock and air bump you can see the travel I was getting from the old Duff progressive coils, and these Cage springs are significantly softer...

I really want to try running the WH prerunner and BC's winch springs but I don't want to buy them just to try them...

Tony

Tony looking at your pic I was wondering if you have ever had any problems with your arms bottoming out on the frame. I recently install the cage arms and noticed the arms contact the frame now before full compression resulting in a 2" loss of up travel vs. what I previously had with the stock arms.
I too am planning on running some air bumps off the side of the frame like your set up to keep the arms from contacting the frame.
I think you would be real happy with the bc coils thats what I run in mine and they work really well in the fast and choppy stuff out in the dunes

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
TJK74, how do you like the performance of the Cage arms and BC coils on the street/highway? too, what shocks are you running with this setup?

Ben