• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Air cleaner clearance issue

ToddinMT

Loc.
Golden Triangle, MT
I have the stock air cleaner (and an aftermarket one I cut down) that won't clear the hood. I suspect it is the new carb. An Edelbrock 600. Manifold is an old street master 289.

I tried cutting down the new cleaner base, but still won't clear.

What am I missing?

Is there another way to do this?

Please and thank you.
998639e2dbecd3850e99bbefa0d17b7c.jpg
ffb27eb8ce633aec5c6238bf11b374d1.jpg
d5a010913fad3d9adfbd76a0213f8ab2.jpg
79ce09daa4966be6914378927808cabd.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

cs_88

Bronco Guru
Look for air cleaners with a drop base.
I would consider another intake as well.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Are you trying to run the stock or the chrome one?if the chrome one just get a drop base of some kind. Bc sell one that looks similar to that one. If you want the stock air cleaner to fit it might take a lower manifold. I don't think the edelbrock carb is much different in height than a stock carb. Usually a carb swap doesn't have clearance issues unless theres a spacer or adapter involved.

cs_88

Bronco Guru
Edelbrock carbs can be a little easier to work with height wise because the choke housing isn't quite as tall as other carbs.
A shorter dual plane intake would be a better fit all around for a Bronco.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeah, it's not the carb alone that is causing a problem.
Look first at your body mounts to make sure they are all at least 3/4" tall above the frame mounts. If they are original rubber they may have collapsed some.

Then the manifold is taller than stock too. The old version of the Streetmaster was not super tall, but yours does look taller than the alternatives from this angle.
And that flange. Is that a spacer under the carb, or just how the intake is shaped? One pic makes it look like a spacer, while the other looks like part of the intake.

Good luck.

Paul

OP
OP
T

ToddinMT

Loc.
Golden Triangle, MT
Thanks for the help. unfortunately, I'm married to the intake. Dad bought it in the 70s and had been on this bronco since new and the previous one or two also. its legacy. ill look for the drop aircleaner thingy. thank you.

stevew

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Elliston Montana
I'll agree on the issue being the manifold . On 99% of the Bronco's I build there is no hood clearance problems regardless of the carb . The bummer I see is you have no heat insulator on that Edelbrock & they are notorious for boiling the gas . Of course that will raise it even more . A drop base a-c should give you the clearance you need & you will be looking at a 14" x 3" . You need that width to drop it . If that still doesn't do it get a 2" filter element . That has always solved my clearance issues . Oh yeah , Summit Racing has a ton of options at believable prices .

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I don't see how a drop-base housing can clear better than a stock one. That's about as low as you can go I would think.

Where is it hitting? Right at the top of the carb, or off to the side?

Paul

cs_88

Bronco Guru
You can definitely go shorter than a stock air cleaner.
I'm running a 351W, Performer intake, Summit carb, stock hood and original body mounts.
It was a little easier when I was running the Edelbrock carb, as the choke housing is shorter...
But now it's tighter than tight.

Last edited:

Broncobowsher

Total hack
How did the intake work before? You said it has been on there since it was new. This can't be a new problem.
How much is it not clearing by?

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Nobody suggested a different air filter!

IF that is a 14" base which it looks like as they are super common. Go to your local parts store and ask for a '76 Mustang II with a 302. It is a little over 2" tall and will feed your engine w/o any issues and you will have the clearance you need as it looks like you have close to a 3" tall filter element in there...

I ran one in my 351W for close to 25 years... also ran it on my 418 for 5 yrs...

Last edited:

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I'll share this again.
The big Edelbrock triangle has a dropped base.
Also, you put it on backwards as shown, it clears three problem areas. The fuel inlet, the throttle linkage, and the large Duraspark distributor cap.

Attachments

• Blubuckaroo motor 3.jpg
    Blubuckaroo motor 3.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 102

SHX669

Bronco Guru
I'll share this again.
The big Edelbrock triangle has a dropped base.
Also, you put it on backwards as shown, it clears three problem areas. The fuel inlet, the throttle linkage, and the large Duraspark distributor cap.

I was on Summits site yesterday looking for that exact item - LOL - I didn't see one with a drop base guess i'll have to revisit their site. You have an edelbrock carb I think holleys require a little more height .
Do you know the measurement from the carb flange to the top of the air cleaner assembly?

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I run the aluminium edelbrock triangle air filter on both 351s. Just dont buy the little foam air cleaner. Those like to catch fire.

gr8scott

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If that still doesn't do it get a 2" filter element. That has always solved my clearance issues.

Nobody suggested a different air filter!

Like NVRSTUK said; Get a shorter filter element.

stevew suggested it in post #7. But yeah, a shorter filter should work. I run this offset drop base,
but don't think it would clear the electric choke.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006K8IA3A/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1