• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Air cleaner options?

cs_88

Bronco Guru
I'm looking to by a new air cleaner and before I go out and spend the money I just thought I'd ask you guys real quick. what size air cleaner fits under a stock hood, no body lift, 302, Edelbrock Performer 289 intake and Edelbrock 1406 carb? Just wondering what you guys are running.

Cactus killer

Sponsor/Vendor
We sell the 13" Ford motorsport drop base setup, it will work with your setup, nice and low it will even work with a 351W and a stock hood.

astark

Contributor
Bronco God
Been thinking about ordering one of those fifty dollar bad boys for my son from BC Broncos ;)

Attachments

• air filter.jpg
    air filter.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 104

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
Been thinking about ordering one of those fifty dollar bad boys for my son from BC Broncos ;)

:D :D :D This is like the one I run on a 351W 4V its a 14X2 K&N filter no body lift just clears.;D ;D ;D Bill %) %) %) PS I also have one on the truck edelbrock 14X3 from auto zone 29.95

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I've settled on an Edelbrock triangular with a K&N element. Not the little tiny one with the foam element. I needed to turn the housing backwards. This makes room for the throttle linkage and the banjo fuel inlet fitting. Only clears the hood by 1/4" but still clears. If having the Edelbrock script upside down bothers you you can always take the hood off so you can read it from inside the car! Bought it from Kragen on line. Cost just over $50 so it qualified for free shipping. Looks real good and at a great price.

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
I use the edelbrock 14" round drop-based cleaner, part #1221. Very close fit, but it does clear. Bought it at Baxter's Auto Parts for $39. You'll also need the banjo fuel fitting for a clean installation, another $9. This is on my 302, edelbrock 289 performer setup.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Can I ask here what carb are you running ....Running buddy has just put a new 302 and 83 throttle body injection on his 1966 it has a 2 inch lift I think.. His hood doesn't shut and he is about to cut up his hood I'm about to have a cow about him cutting a good 66 hood ..Will that edelbrock 1221 fit his also .....oR DO YOU GUYS HAVE any better ideals for him ..also that stock ac bracket is hitting in the front of the motor.Are there ways 2 make his hood shut with this set up and not cut it ac and throttle body ..

JMP

Loc.
Kirkland, WA
I just went through the pains of trying to find a cleaner that would fit. I too was about to cut the hood or do a body lift as I tried 4 different ones before finding the one...don't cut it.

Tried the K&N Xstream 14" with 1.25 drop base...hit the throttle linkage and the distributer...then I tried a summit 10" oval which hit the hood...then I finally found the Moroso 14" with a 1" drop. It was the only brand I could find that offered the 1" drop. It clears the throttle linkage, sites nicely below the hood and with a little modification clears the distributer. (Had to bend the front lip maybe an 1/8" to get behind the distributor.

So Moroso 14"Dia with K&N 3" element will do the trick.

(FYI I am running a 302, 289 edelbrock manifold and a 4160 Holley Carb)

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...5902&N=700+4294925239+400105+115&autoview=sku

Josh

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
mwsander....
.....We used to add a shinney side down chrome gasket plate on some chevy carb years ago ...They said it force the heat back into the motor I thought they'd had too much BBQ......

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
mwsander....
.....We used to add a shinney side down chrome gasket plate on some chevy carb years ago ...They said it force the heat back into the motor I thought they'd had too much BBQ......

Too much BBQ or not enough? ;D I also changed out my t-stat from 190 to 180 and haven't had any problems.

eb66to77

Bronc'Ownly
Loc.
NOVA
i have a 12 x 2 inch edelbrock round. I have replacement poly body bushings and it clears fine.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Might have been the perfect solution but My beer drinking buddy at the time worked for the dealer ship ...Once he showed me the little smoke trail coming from it ..I was comvensed ..

gladrich

I bought the one Astark has pictured above and it hit the throttle linkage too. I have a 73 with a 302 and "I think" a stock carb.

RJA102

Contributor
I bought the one Astark has pictured above and it hit the throttle linkage too. I have a 73 with a 302 and "I think" a stock carb.

What air cleaner did you end up getting?

I have a 72 with 302 and stock carb.

Thanks