• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Almost a tragedy

winston vizsla

Loc.
Birmingham
Interesting. My girlfriend was leaving a gas station and spotted a silver EB earlier this year. She always pulls her phone out to snap pics and send to me. Well as she was pulling her phone out, she saw the back left tire rolling down the road towards her. Sounds like the same problem. From the picture she took it lookes like the shaft broke at the back of where the bearing is seated. The driver said thank god it happened before he got on the interstate. Here are the pics:

8bef4444.jpg

e35a2322.jpg

3e604a4f.jpg

Last edited:

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Almost every stock ford axle shaft I've seen break was right at the bearing. have yet to see one break as so called "designed"
Seem aftermarkets do the same thing mostly due to a bad housing.

xcntrk

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NOVA
^Oh I get it now. These are breaking on the other side of the retainer... Yikes!

MartyG

Bronco Guru
Wholly cow...So glad everyone is alright!
I automatically think "that could have be me, my wife and my girls"...and it freaks me out.
Glad my wife doesn't read this site.

motoman

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
Glad everyone was ok! That is soooooo scary when you are just along for the ride!

I snapped a 6 year old Moser 31 spline axle running 35" tires.... was doing a donut in a dirt field and "WAM!"

IMG_8055.jpg

Screwed up the new disc brakes

IMG_8056.jpg

Snapped right at the end!

IMG_8053.jpg

Just makes no sense where it broke.

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
Interesting read that helps explain it...Here

Most likely you had corrosion on the axle at that point, that why it looks like it has multiple points of origin (as indicated by the huge ratchet marks typical with high torque on a shaft), and final failure.

If you have a good close up picture, it would be pretty easy to see where the failure started. Why it failed exactly is a little bit of a guess, but usually corrosion starts it, and incorrect material properties don't help.

Eric

Glad everyone was ok! That is soooooo scary when you are just along for the ride!

I snapped a 6 year old Moser 31 spline axle running 35" tires.... was doing a donut in a dirt field and "WAM!"

IMG_8055.jpg

Screwed up the new disc brakes

IMG_8056.jpg

Snapped right at the end!

IMG_8053.jpg

Just makes no sense where it broke.