• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Almost ready to START ENGINE!!! ????

Labbster

I am almost ready to light this pig(351w efi) up for the first time. My only hesitation is that a few things are not hooked up yet so here are my questions:

1) I don't have steering column in or the rear wiring hooked up. does it matter? I do have the high pressure fuel pump wired back there

2) Power steering pump not plumbed yet. I have Saginaw pump and going hydroboost. Do I need to plumb the hydroboost and Saginaw first? I am assuming it may harm the pump without it hooked together...

ScanmanSteven

Bronco Guru
Body wiring doesn't make any difference. Power steering must be hooked up or at least run in a loop so there's fluid in the pump at all times. Not good to run pump without fluid, pretty sure it will burn it up.

71broncman

Loc.
Woodland Park, Co
If you want to start it now without waiting to hook up the pump/hydroboost just take the belt off the pump so you don't fry it. If you want to drive it might want to hook the pump up so you have good brakes. No rear wiring is no problem.
Mark.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Spinning a power steering pump without fluid is bad. Not sure what the situation is for you. Depending on belt routing it can be easy to just leave the V-belt off and Be OK, unless that is the only one that also runs the water pump as well, that would be bad. Serpentine drive is often hard to leave the accessory out of the picture. In that case just loop the pump back into itself. you can circulate oil without pressurizing it just fine.

OP
OP
Labbster

Labbster

Serp belt...

I guess two options. Loop power steering pump to itself. Would there be much pressure since I won't be turning the wheels? Could I loop pressure line to return line?

Second option to fit all my hoses to hydroboost but I won't have master cylinder attached....will this harm anything if I make sure the reservoir is full

TN1776

Bronco Guru
Loop the PS line back to the tank inlet and check the fluid level both before and while running.
Make sure that your transmission is in neutral or park since you have no steering or brakes.
Have some rags and a fire extinguisher in close reach.
Set timing the best that you can so it runs smooth but don't stress too much on that.
A second set of eyes to look for leaks is invaluable. Plan on leaks, they will probably happen. I have never fired up a new motor without at least one coolant leak. Watch your fuel lines too, sometimes the connections are not as tight as they seem.

Good luck and take a video!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Serp belt...
Loop power steering pump to itself. Would there be much pressure since I won't be turning the wheels? Could I loop pressure line to return line?

There will be flow, just don't try and stop it. But without the restriction of a steering box there will not be any pressure. Just route it back so the fluid can circulate. That's all it needs.