• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Almost rolled my bronco today

mduenas

Loc.
Los Angeles
Just wanted to share my heart attack of a morning.

I was backing down my driveway, and the steepness (it is extremely steep), combo of rain and leaves it just started sliding, gave it gas to go up and didn’t help, went on two wheels and I could reach out the window and touch the ground. I reached over towards the passenger side and shifted my weight until I could get the truck onto 3 wheels.
I called my wife to come out and help, she locked my front hubs while
Yelling at me to not let it roll onto her. I gave it a ton of gas and got back up the driveway. But man! Not a way to start my morning!

I did notice after a massive pile of rotted : rusted metal on the driver side after all the flexing. Looks like I had a leak that started rotting away metal by the steering column :/

Oh well, all is good and safe!

Attachments

• F1A6E5FC-FBC1-498D-930F-0BDCA72433C2.jpeg
    F1A6E5FC-FBC1-498D-930F-0BDCA72433C2.jpeg
    236.7 KB · Views: 544
  • 228E486B-D845-45E7-B33C-904524AA8C51.jpg
    228E486B-D845-45E7-B33C-904524AA8C51.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 495

triracer67

Contributor
Hope u have a cage installed, the tops aren’t safe during a rollover.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Note to self... Leave the hubs locked during the wet season!:cool:
(by the way, just when is the "wet season" in your neighborhood?)

Mmm, not a fun area to find rust. But all too common with Broncos. If that's where I think it is, you need to do some digging/detecting/researching to see if a full cowl rebuild is warranted.

Hopefully not, but steel yourself for it at some point.

Paul

OP
OP
M

mduenas

Loc.
Los Angeles
Hope u have a cage installed, the tops aren’t safe during a rollover.

Have a full cage sitting in my garage. I want it In more than ever now. Right now just a roll bar. I was sitting thinking how to get low enough so the top doesn’t crush me when I flip.

OP
OP
M

mduenas

Loc.
Los Angeles
Note to self... Leave the hubs locked during the wet season!:cool:
(by the way, just when is the "wet season" in your neighborhood?)

Mmm, not a fun area to find rust. But all too common with Broncos. If that's where I think it is, you need to do some digging/detecting/researching to see if a full cowl rebuild is warranted.

Hopefully not, but steel yourself for it at some point.

Paul

Not a bad idea to leave them locked all the time. Rainy season doesn’t exist here. It rains so randomly.

It is absolutely in the cowl. PO put a bolt through the top of the cowl to hold the bracket and never sealed it. I saw a spot of rust a while ago and never thought about it. Wish I would have fixed when I had the dash out. Thinking of welding a plate for the spot that’s rusted.

pipeline010

High Side!

Our ocean rescue boats are built for the waves. When you broach we're taught to do exactly what you did to keep your bronco flat...when it rises on one side you get up off your butt and climb the high side. nice save!

Brnco302

Your wife’s a keeper. There is no way mine or anybody in my neighborhood for that matter would lock the drivers side hub. They would be more then happy to take lots of pictures.Great story only because it all worked out.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Glad you're okay!! What would have been your plan if your wife wasn't home to lock the hubs?

jedblake

Loc.
Boulder City, NV
I would have had to stay home and let my heart beat come back to normal.
Scary experiences are the worst on our classic rides, glad no harm done.
Oh yeah Mothers Day is Sunday May 12 :)

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
you sure it was leaves? did you mistake the gas for brakes? you got it pretty high on that bank....glad it didn't go over on you!

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Ain't that the truth.... ^^^ You have to think Hard about that, keeping it Inside

BamaBlue'67

I bet the pucker factor was high on this experience. ;D

I don't know how it didn't roller over given these pics.