• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Alternator getting hot

firehawk

Loc.
Clawson, Michigan
Put a 99 explorer motor in and the alternator is getting hot and while the motor is barely running. Having EFI running issues too that I am slowly diagnosing.

What would cause it to get warm if not hot.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
It will get hot if its working hard. What's the voltage?

OP
OP
firehawk

firehawk

Loc.
Clawson, Michigan
It will get hot if its working hard. What's the voltage?

That was with it running on less than 8 cylinders before it would die then try it again and again and again.

It was 12.4 ish after cranking it a bit so it had to be higher. I had the trickle charger on it overnight and now it is showing 13.08.

Having EFI issues also, been trying to track down the problem and am going to try a computer that had a fried capacitor, going to replace that before I try it of course. That computer is out of a buddies stang that had the fuel pump running constantly and would not start until he replaced the computer and gave me the old one.

Bronk

Loc.
Somewhere in Sask.
12.5 is normal battery voltage. it should be at least 13.5 running , alts run warm all the time if it is so hot that you can't touch it you have a problem

OP
OP
firehawk

firehawk

Loc.
Clawson, Michigan
Why would I have no spark during crank but as soon as I let go of they key I do get some sparks until the motor stops spinning? I have power to the distributor, Wire 4 from the bottom is constant power and number 3 is crank only power.

I do not have the distributor bolted down just set into the hole as I am trying to see if changing the timing will get it running. I have noticed when the key is on and I pull the distributor out to adjust the timing setup when I went to put it back in I saw a small arc from the distributor to the inside of the block.

Is the distributor supposed to be grounded through the block?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Yes, the distributor grounds through the block. Leave the key off when pulling the distributor out or you could fry the resistor wire.

OP
OP
firehawk

firehawk

Loc.
Clawson, Michigan
Yes, the distributor grounds through the block. Leave the key off when pulling the distributor out or you could fry the resistor wire.

Which wire would that be? The one with the 22k resistor that goes to the computer? I had to add that resistor as it was not included when someone put this harness together, what would that do to the computer or driveabillity?

OP
OP
firehawk

firehawk

Loc.
Clawson, Michigan
Alternator gets warm with just cranking it. I am having trouble getting it started and with long cranking times it does get warm.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Which wire would that be? The one with the 22k resistor that goes to the computer? I had to add that resistor as it was not included when someone put this harness together, what would that do to the computer or driveabillity?

I don't know why but I was thinking ignition resistor wire. For some reson the EFI thing didn't sink in.

The alternator is trying to work when cranking. If you're spending a lot of time and amperage cranking its trying to work hard. It will get warm. If it seems unusually warm you could always have it tested.

I would also take a look at spark and fuel pressure. With EFI it start right up.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Is this a custom engine harness, or off-the-shelf type?
Is the chassis harness original Bronco, or new?
Is the EFI setup cobbled together from multiple engines, or is it all 99 Explorer?
ECU from the Explorer too, or something from another unit that uses the TFI distributor? Sounds like it, but I had to ask.
If so, what ECU are you using?
Did you make sure to add good grounds to every possible part of the engine/body/chassis? The Bronco didn't come equipped with very complete wiring for a modern upgrade, so those need to be addressed always when going to EFI.

Just a few questions for you. ;D

Paul