• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

alternator mounted to d30/44 axle for trailer power?

SDlivin

Loc.
San Diego
Been kicking around in my head for awhile the thought of putting together an off road expedition type utility trailer.
Was thinking of trying to use a d30/44 axle for it.
Came up with an interesting idea that I wanted to run past you folks.

Couple reasons for thinking of using an EB front axle set-up.
-re-use most of the trailer axle parts as spares should I need them.
-locking hubs
-spare tire would match EB and trailer

In thinking of ways to re-power an onboard battery power system for the trailer, came up with an interesting thought. Would it be possible to fab up a custom mount for an alternator to use the spinning differential yoke as it's belt system? Basically do away with a belt and pulley system and mount the alternator direct to the yoke.
Wire up the alternator to the battery and while your trailering, you are charging the batteries? You could then use the manual locking hubs to engage or disengage that option?

Just a thought....

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Interesting thought. What does an alternator think about backing up? Have to wire up a reverse switch to kill the regulator when you shift into reverse. Mount the I beams on the front so they become trailing arms it would be easier to mount an alternator on the front of a 9-inch since you have the pinion bolts to work with. Probably could adapt a air conditioner clutch into the drive unit fo the alternator.

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
Be easier to just run a wire from the bronco battery to a battery on the trailer. With a relay to drop it out when the ignition was turned off. Trailer cant charge unless it is being pulled.

fkngiant

Loc.
Phoenix,AZ
Interesting thought. What does an alternator think about backing up? Have to wire up a reverse switch to kill the regulator when you shift into reverse. Mount the I beams on the front so they become trailing arms it would be easier to mount an alternator on the front of a 9-inch since you have the pinion bolts to work with. Probably could adapt a air conditioner clutch into the drive unit fo the alternator.

The alt creates ac voltage so it wouldn't matter.

miikee73

Shadetree Guru
Loc.
Aloha
Back in the '70's I had a friend with a hot rod T bucket and his alt was driven off the drive shaft. FWIW.....

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I love the idea..wish I'd thought of it. I've been towing my F-250 truck bed trailer around the country to various events for years...with the yoke of the D-60 just spinning merrily away doing nothing useful.:p

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
I love the idea..wish I'd thought of it. I've been towing my F-250 truck bed trailer around the country to various events for years...with the yoke of the D-60 just spinning merrily away doing nothing useful.:p

You could mount a fan blade to it. May get another MPG out of it. Or if close enough to the ground use it to puree road kill.

cldonley

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Robinson, TX
The question is, will it spin fast enough to make power? Coming in speed on most alternators is 600 rpm and up. Need to do some math there...but it is a cool idea! Like the puree idea too. Might get hungry out there and want some pureed armadillo or something.

Jebus

Loc.
Longview, WA
Depends on the gear ratio of the axle, but if you think about cruising speed, 40 to 60 mph in direct gear, 1:1, the driveshaft rpm is anywhere from 2000 rpm to 4000 rpm, same as engine. Given the fact that most alternators are overdriven at the engine pulleys, by what 2:1? 3:1? It should work just ok.

As with the fan mounted on the alternator, be easier to mount that to a 6' pole and use wind power to charge those batteries.

Might even get to have bird for dinner.

lol, how green is that?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Should work but you'll still be better off with a belt and pulley system. To get the RPM's needed to supply power Most need closer to 1000 RPM before they start charging. No real big deal to overcome in any case. Id want the alt up out of the way and semi protected from water ect. lots of mist/dirty stuff comes off the tires when its wet out.
In the end your probably better off just using the broncos power system to recharge the batterys Also have to figure that locking the hubs in will result in more drag on the bronco. Not sure how much HP it takes to turn a D30/44 Id guess about a 3-6% of total HP when locked plus another little bit running a alt. Just have to figure that locking the hubs spining axle shafts that have ujoints and running a alternator is all going to take more power to pull. Than if you were just free wheeling. Plus your adding more wear to some of your spares.

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
Sounds like an interesting idea to me! Go for it. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. I bet it would work pretty well. ;D

Broncobowsher

Total hack
It will work. Since crankshaft RPM is the same as driveshaft RPM (when in top non-overdrive gear anyway), the yoke will simply spin at engine speed on the highway. So if the pulley on the yoke is crank pulley size, it will be like the engine is driving it.

But slow down to crawl speed, it isn't going to do anything.

Driveshaft mounted alternators have been done many times. Typically street rod affair, clean engine compartment. The thing is you have to be moving fairly fast for it to charge. How fast is idle speed in top gear? Depends on gearing.

Wiring can be very simple. A true 1-wire alternator. No turn on wire needed.

It would be a lot easier to just put a charge wire through the 7-pin trailer plug. Just like every other trailer battery. Another option, throw a solar panel on it. Charges just sitting still.