• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Alternator Not Charging

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Ok guys so my alternator isn't charging my battery. I talked to Paul about this earlier and will be testing my alternator later next week when I have time but I figured Id get enough info on this as possible. Im going to run a voltmeter test first, if the altenator is good I'll check my wiring. Right now I know my voltmeter is grounded to the body per the instructions via centech. Paul told me I should have a ground from the alternator to the voltage regulator as that's how ford did it. Paul thinks this probably wont solve the issue but I'm willing to give it a shot. My current set up is a basic stock 65 amp alternator, msd ready to run ignition and centech wiring harness. Everything is New. Just Trying to line up my trouble shooting ducks, so if battery and alternator test out good, suspect voltage regulator? or track down ghost draws by pulling fuses? TIA

CENTECH ALT DIAGRAM
IMG_2426.jpg

ALTERNATOR
IMG_2422.jpg

VOLTAVGE REG
IMG_2487.jpg

Smedley

Loc.
Snohomish
I took my voltage regulator to Napa and had it tested. Eventually I just did away with the voltage regulator and got a one wire alt. I'll try to dig up some pictures of my wiring before I got rid of VR. I have the Centech as well.

OP
OP
rydog1130

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I thought about doing the one wire set up. That looks a little different than mine if thats before you ditched the VR. How many amp alt are you running now and have any pictures?

Last edited:

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
The stock location for the voltage regulator is mounted on the firewall just above where the heater hoses go through the firewall. It gets its ground from its mounting bolts to the firewall. So it has to have clean metal on the firewall under the voltage regulator. You also have to have a good ground between the negative post on the battery to the body tub. This is a very important ground.

The voltage regulator comes in 2 types, an origional mechanical contact type. It has a tall cover about 2 inches high. A more modern electronic type voltage regulator. Its cover is less than an inch high. The mechanical regulators are old technology junk compared to the electronic regulators.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Your starter solenoid mounting bolts need clean steel between the solenoid mounting screws and the inner fender. You need clean ground to the body.

OP
OP
rydog1130

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I think i figured it out...looking at a better picture and going through the instructions again my yellow wire from the regulator labeled BT is hooked up to the S post when it should really be hooked up to the + post on the starter solenoid. Im going to disconnect the battery add a ground to the starter and switch that yellow wire from the S post to the + post and see if that works!
IMG_1189.jpg

gr8scott

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yup, I was just going to post some pictures and mention that. I'll bet you it starts charging once you move that wire.

gr8scott

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Here's what my one-wire 130 amp 3G setup looks like. That 4 gauge cable coming off the alternator
running over to the starter relay is the "one-wire". Under the loom I have a 175 amp mega fuse.

Attachments

• 3G Setup.jpg
    3G Setup.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 31

Smedley

Loc.
Snohomish
I thought about doing the one wire set up. That looks a little different than mine if thats before you ditched the VR. How many amp alt are you running now and have any pictures?

Yes, that pic is before I ditched the VR. I am running the Tuff Stuff 100amp (part# 7068). I got it off Amazon for $87.

I'll get a view pics up soon.

Will

OP
OP
rydog1130

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Your starter solenoid mounting bolts need clean steel between the solenoid mounting screws and the inner fender. You need clean ground to the body.

I have the VR grounded just not the alternator. Its hard to see but its the black wire in the upper corner. I'll be cleaning everything up and running that ground from the alt to the body.
IMG_2488.JPG

OP
OP
rydog1130

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Is the alternator charging now?

Oh not yet, my bronco likes to throw these fits at the very end of my days off so it gives me time during my work week to try and figure out why its doing what it is. I'll be up on Monday to swap these wires around and give it a go!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
How is your regulator wired?
Should be Orange to the "F" terminal, Green to the "S" terminal, and Yellow to the "A" terminal.
Looks from here like you have the Yellow wire in the second position next to the Orange wire?

If so that's why you're not getting any love from the alternator. Your regulator can only "turn on" when the key is in START.

One more thing to take a look at at least. Make sure you have the three wires, and nothing in the "I" position.

Paul

OP
OP
rydog1130

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
How is your regulator wired?
Should be Orange to the "F" terminal, Green to the "S" terminal, and Yellow to the "A" terminal.
Looks from here like you have the Yellow wire in the second position next to the Orange wire?

Paul

Wires on voltage regulator seem to be in the correct spot... I don't know how well the picture is showing up on your end but the green wire is plugged in between the orange and yellow wire.

OP
OP
rydog1130

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Update, did the changes on the wiring and bam fixed! Getting a solid 14 + volts to the battery now with everything running! Bronco is ready to rock!!!

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Awesome. I was gonna say that nothing goes on the "S" post except the "crank" wire from the ignition switch..and certainly not a wire from the charging harness.

Rockin' it now though...

OP
OP
rydog1130

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Awesome. I was gonna say that nothing goes on the "S" post except the "crank" wire from the ignition switch..and certainly not a wire from the charging harness.

Rockin' it now though...

Yeah I had friend help me wire this up about 2 years ago and ive just been doing short test drives with it. Now that I have my seat and hand controls in it I've been driving it more and longer. It's bringing out all the bugs and finding all the small things that weren't done right....I think were good now though!