• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Alternator ?

gledhillt

Need some help about alternators.
Do I need a higher than stock output alternator to run a winch?
If so what to use?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Basically yes as most stock bronco alternators were only 42 amp. whick is barely big enough to run what the bronco came with stock. If your using your winch a lot then I would want something around 100 amp. If occasinal use then 80 amp should be ok but you need to have a good battery

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
And if you're going to use a high amp alternator there are some things you need to upgrade on the wiring harness. The stock alt output wire is long and small diameter. It is prone to melting down when used with high output alternators. The easy fix is to add a 6-8 gauge cable from the alt output, through a fusible link or fuse to the battery.

RRRAAAYYY2

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Brantford, Ontario
Most winches draw over 200amps, especially when they first start to pull. You will want the biggest group size battery you can fit in your truck, if you have room dual batteries is a far better option.

Your stock alternator is pretty much useless. You can upgrade to a 130amp 3g, or go for an aftermarket one at 180 to 250amps. To higher the ouptu the faster you will recover the battery(s) from winching.

Any upgrade in wiring will require a new main battery cable from the alternator to the battery. The wire size depends on the alternators output plus the length of the cable. If you go directly to the battery, your length should be under 2 feet, and for an alternator 130amps or higher, 4 guage will work. 6 guage is a little light, especially after the 130amps.

We dont fuse our lines, and most OE manufacturers do not fuse 4ga or thicker cables. i.e. every Chevy starter cable out there.

Now with all that said. If you dont plan on winching too often, or too badly. You can keep your stock alternator and when you use the winch. Only power the winch up for about 10 seconds at a time, then let it rest for 3 minutes as the alternator recharges the battery. A bit of a pain in the butt, but will work fine.

But there is also something to be said when you can winch a guy out with the lights on and stereo playing. :)

malcolmzilla

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Calgary, AB, Canada
I got a reman'd lincoln towncar alternator of similar vintage, and a v groove pulley from NAPA. Had a test sheet showwing 100 amps, altho well above idle.