• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Aluminum heater core?

camp9k

Rebuilding a heater box and was wondering if an aluminum heater core was needed if im running a aluminum radiator? or does it matter?

Thanks
John

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Doesn't matter. You could probably make a galvanic argument one way or the other, but so long as you take decent care of your rig and flush your coolant system at regularly scheduled intervals like you should, then no worries. The reality is that you already have dissimilar materials between your radiator and block...unless you're running aluminum block and heads?

SHX669

Bronco Guru
I put one in mine - why not? - if have aluminum radiator and have to buy a heater core anyway. I wouldnt pull a good core just to do it though.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
If the metals were in contact with each other it would be a bigger problem, but isolated by several feet of rubber hose not so much.

The reason the OEM's switched to aluminum is that it costs them about half as much as copper/brass.

It is not a more efficient radiator material, about the same as copper/brass.
But more fragile and not repairable.

If copper/brass leaks it can be soldered.