• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

am auto wire lost rear turn signals & brake lights

lhinterman

I have an auto wire kit 510-317 and it was installed for me in my 66 bronco. This was a built from the ground up, no ford connections under the dash.
I just installed an ididit universal column(key in the dash, shift on the floor)

Now I have lost the turn signals, i am blowing fuses (turn signal and brake) . There is no power to the signals.
Is there a wire that powers up these circuits? That I may have disconnected. The Am Wire connector slides into the column connector with no problem. I have replaced the flashers, I have replaced the brake pressure switch, fixed the left rear pigtail..
When I started the column switchover, I had turn signals on three and none on the driver rear.

I assume I screwed it up, how do I get back to go??

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Since it's blowing a fuse after the column install, I would disconnect the column connector and start checking each circuit.
Since it blows with both the brakes and the turn signals, then I would think it has to be one of the wires at, or after the column because they are the same circuit once you reach the turn signal switch.

Have you noted whether it blows the fuse with either side signal? Or is it just left, or right side doing it?
If just one side, follow the wires along the frame and see if you find any breaks, burns, pinches or rubbed bare wires. Then remove the bulb from that socket to see if that changes anything.

The flashers would not do it because prior to the column the brakes and turn signals are independent. Does it blow the fuse on hazards too?
A turn signal short in the flasher would blow a fuse with the turn signals, but not the brakes. Same for the brake light switch not effecting the turn signals.

Either a wire got pinched inside the column (would have happened at the factory presumably), a wire is crossed in the connector (easy to do) or you have a break in the harness towards the rear of the truck.

If nothing is obvious, disconnect the column and jumper the power-input wire to each output individually. Presumably the turn signal switch in a universal column is a GM part and has GM color coded wires. Same for the AAW harness. Do all wire colors in the connector match?

Good luck.

Paul

Kbpony

You might double check your rear pigtail that wires didn’t get crossed. That would blow the fuse on left turn and brake.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
You might double check your rear pigtail that wires didn’t get crossed. That would blow the fuse on left turn and brake.

definitely lots of little things you could check