• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Am I getting hosed? Non-bronco thread

DevilDog

Loc.
Virginia
So the wiring on our well went bad last week, and this week we got the bill. They replaced the wiring which because the well is so deep, that ran about $300. No real issue there. The labor charges is where I am sort of stuck. The company charged $125 dollars per hour (really?) for 2.5 hours. They were only here for an hour and a half. I have no issue paying for labor, especially for skilled or technical/mechanical knowledge. Here is the extent of the work...Open well, pull out flexible pipe, rip off wiring, attach new wiring (yes they charged for the metal wire connectors and electrical tape) lower pipe and wrap with electrical tape every 10 feet or so.

In addition, they charged an additional $100 per hour for a "truck fee". Seriously? Has anyone ever heard of a company charging a truck fee? Let alone an additional $100 per hour. There was also a separate fuel charge, so I know it isn't related to that. Thoughts?

kayakersteve

Loc.
Western NY State
That sound a little steap, but really depends on your area and if any competition exists. Did you get a quote or just hire them? Sorry for the steap bill - surprises like that really suck!

OP
OP
DevilDog

DevilDog

Loc.
Virginia
No, they came highly recommended, and it was such a simple little job I didn't even think to get an estimate. Once I knew it wasn't the pump, I thought we were all good. In hindsight....

miikee73

Shadetree Guru
Loc.
Aloha
They saw your fine Bronco and figured this guy must have Bank. Were they driving a chebby,a Ford man wouldn't do that.;)

OP
OP
DevilDog

DevilDog

Loc.
Virginia
They saw your fine Bronco and figured this guy must have Bank. Were they driving a chebby,a Ford man wouldn't do that.;)

Ha, I would have to agree but it was an F-550. And to make it worse the Bronco is still at the body shop eating up the rest of my money. Good times.

crankman

Devildog i work for a elect contractor we charge 80per hr and the fuel is built in the hourly rate including the truck use charge. Hindsight is ask up front before they roll to the house. Things are getting crazy on this fuel right now unless you live way out and i mean way out of town that would be the only reason i could think of still a bit steep. :eek:

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
Yeah that's wayyyy too much. Around here you can get 2 plumbers or electricians for $95/hr. They come in pairs(bastards). $100 an hour for a truck charge is insane. I can rent a crane and operator around here for that. I am a mechanical contractor and depending on what i am doing charge up to $80 an hour but my truck comes with me. I don't charge extra for the truck or a fuel surcharge. I have always thought those charges were complete and utter BS.

They may have only been there for 1.5 hours but probably traved 1/2 hour to and from your house. I hear this all of the time, but if i didn't charge for travel time I would have to work an 11 hour day to get payed for 8. Yes I would also charge for the wire nuts and electrical tape($5).

Sounds like a $325 job to me.

OP
OP
DevilDog

DevilDog

Loc.
Virginia
Yeah that's wayyyy too much. Around here you can get 2 plumbers or electricians for $95/hr. They come in pairs(bastards). $100 an hour for a truck charge is insane. I can rent a crane and operator around here for that. I am a mechanical contractor and depending on what i am doing charge up to $80 an hour but my truck comes with me. I don't charge extra for the truck or a fuel surcharge. I have always thought those charges were complete and utter BS.

They may have only been there for 1.5 hours but probably traved 1/2 hour to and from your house. I hear this all of the time, but if i didn't charge for travel time I would have to work an 11 hour day to get payed for 8. Yes I would also charge for the wire nuts and electrical tape($5).

Sounds like a $325 job to me.

Thanks for the reply. I figured the extra time was for travel, and wasn't going to sweat that. I am still stuck on the truck charge. I am going to give them a ring today and ask them to explain the truck charges.

gearida

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newburgh, IN
DD, I hope you got a real nice installation. I was a tech in domestic, farm, and european markets for many years. Paying the bills is not easy and tools, certifications, for fuel, oil, which require special bins etc., and insurance, it is hard work. As said too, if you can get the work at that cost... great too on the businesses side. Still sounds a little higher than we could charge in Evansville, IN.

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
when you call em up tell em you got several opinions off an early bronco web forum and the opinions were that you got hosed. they'll probably immediately cut your bill in half or more.

never pay a service bill until the service provider fully explains the charges and you understand them and agree with them. if you don't agree put up a fight.