• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Am I getting ripped off?

Am I getting ripped off?

• Total voters

68 Broncoholic

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WA
It does sound spendy but having a Cat installed will keep the smell down with the top off. Thats about the only good a Cat does for our age rigs.

Adarcy

Just had a dual 2 1/2" system with h-pipe and 2 new stainless mufflers done in SoCal(most expensive place in the country) for $425 from headers back with all new hangers.

Ed Hansons? If so, they do amazing work. Spendy, but well worth it.

matts70

Loc.
Northwest Indiana
I had long-tube headers. I wanted dual exhaust. My quote included aluminized pipes and I provided the mufflers--I spent about $225 and that was high IMO. No converter required. Then again, geography is everything.

Of course, you can always press the issue and ask for an itemized quote--muffler shops hate this.

landshark99

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Montrose, Colorado
thats very high.. I would look for another reputable shop around you and get another quote. I paid $400 on my fullsize for all new exhaust from the heads back about 2 years ago, including new high flow cat and a cheap muffler..

I dont' think you are required to have a cat.. IF your truck didn't' come with one.. I went in for my test here in Denver a few days ago and they checked for a cat and for the smog pump.. and did the sniffer test.. i have a 76 however and I think 76 is the first year for emissions here... could be wrong.. call a independent test center.. they tend to be more forgiving and will give you a frank answer...

Zillacon

Loc.
Hackin Away!
In Colorado if you have a 75 and older and get Classic Plates no Emissions are required but you will have to pay registration Fees for 5 years up front. Well worth it!

Motor vehicles that are model year 1975 or earlier or motor vehicles with a model year 1976 or later that were registered as a collector's item prior to September 1, 2009 which are not to be used in a commercial manner. All taxes and fees shall be five times the annual taxes and fees normally assessed.

The part about having been registered as a collector vehicle prior to Sept. 1 2009 worries me. What if it hasn't? I can't find anything on the Emissions website to answer that question.

That only relates to 76 and later models that already had Classic Plates so they were governed in as it use to be 25 years or older in the state of Colorado until our previous Libtard Governor got his sticky fingers in the bucket. You said yours is a 75 model so you dont need to worry about that.

Gerbow

Loc.
Jacksonville
I pay 300 for duals from the manifolds back and I don't supply a thing, and thats on a full size truck.

X2 here also, and quote for my EB just last wk was $240 from headers back to just behind the tires....true duals w/ flowmaster 40s

For your price they need to be stainless.....

sicaz66

Bronco Guru
Loc.
san diego
Ed Hansons? If so, they do amazing work. Spendy, but well worth it.

Ed hansons is way too spendy.I go to chappelles exhaust and customs in el cajon. The guy wheels so he knows how to tuck it up tight. Hands down one of the nicest jobs I've seen.

OP
OP
hvanorden

hvanorden

Loc.
Loveland, CO
That only relates to 76 and later models that already had Classic Plates so they were governed in as it use to be 25 years or older in the state of Colorado until our previous Libtard Governor got his sticky fingers in the bucket. You said yours is a 75 model so you dont need to worry about that.

You are correct. I just got off the phone with the emissions department and they confirmed that I don't have to get tested. Hooray! Funny thing is, the guy that I spoke to ended up being an EB owner himself. Said he has a rusty '71, what are the chances? Really nice guy.

broncoman805

Loc.
Oxnard, CA
Had mine done at the local muffler shop and it ran a little over $300 for a two into one with a Flow Master. I have a 3" body lift and he ran the tail pipe on top of the frame out to the back.

OP
OP
hvanorden

hvanorden

Loc.
Loveland, CO
So the muffler shop finally got back to me today regarding the catalytic converter. He told me that the emissions department (or whatever its called) said that it has to have a Cat. So he won't do it any other way and it's going to cost $600. It took 5 days to get that answer. I told him that I'll be picking it up tomorrow. I called another shop down the road from him and the guy quoted me $250 and said if I bring it by tomorrow (Thursday), he'll have it done on Friday. So that's where I'm taking it. What a mess!

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
my guy out here gets $450 for a complete system INCLUDING the muffler and a stainless tip. go somewhere else.

isn't the smog law in colorado 25 years and newer? if so why do you need a cat? just to start brush fires???

Stutsmo

Contributor
Bronco Guru
So the muffler shop finally got back to me today regarding the catalytic converter. He told me that the emissions department (or whatever its called) said that it has to have a Cat. So he won't do it any other way and it's going to cost $600. It took 5 days to get that answer. I told him that I'll be picking it up tomorrow. I called another shop down the road from him and the guy quoted me $250 and said if I bring it by tomorrow (Thursday), he'll have it done on Friday. So that's where I'm taking it. What a mess!

$250 sounds more like it. That is what I would expect to pay in Northern Indiana.

Gerbow

Loc.
Jacksonville
Yes, $250 is a good price. Hell, its only a couple feet of pipe once you get past long tubes and mufflers.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
$250 is more like it - still high for me, but not outrageous like the first quote. The tubing itself is negligible to the cost of the job, it's almost all labor for exhaust work.
I paid $100 for this exhaust, it included new doughnuts (which he had to use a torch on the studs to get them out) a custom made y-pipe, new muffler and hangers.

OP
OP
hvanorden

hvanorden

Loc.
Loveland, CO
So I took my rig to the shop down the street yesterday on my lunch break. The guy was real nice and accommodating. It is now noon on Friday and he just called me and told me its ready! That's less than a 24 hour turn around! I can't wait to get off work and go check it out. I'll post some pics and you guys can critic it. I'm really glad I checked with all you guys before paying that other shop too much money!