• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Amazing what a little buffing can do

77bronco_ed

Bronco Guru
I want to practice a bit before I finally buff out my red truck.

Can't hurt the paint on the green truck, it is already thin. Amazing what a little buffing can do...

Heck I am going to do the whole thing. Decals were already shot on the hood. You can see by the doors and bottom of fender what it looked like. and... this was rather quick.

Attachments

• b1.jpg
    b1.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 367
  • b2.jpg
    b2.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 320

swampu

Loc.
Biloxi
Here is a before and after with just wax.
soccer063.jpg

P5170091.jpg

JusticeJMB

Loc.
Sacramento
I spend half an afternoon and a 12-pack buffing and waxing my oxidized boat last weekend. Couple coats by hand, couple with a buffer. Turned out great!

OP
OP
77bronco_ed

77bronco_ed

Bronco Guru
Sure... Not to difficult. However I do not do this for a living. I did paint a few cars while working at an antique restoration shop, but many years ago ;)

If you already have nice paint you may want to practice on an older vehicle... You can burn through if you are not careful. I am using Meguires. Easy to find and they are number coded. I bought all products at " painters supply"
You may need to buy a polisher on the web or at a painters supply type company.
It looks like a regular grinder but... lower rpm's and variable speeds.

IF first time, a DA type buffer might be better. I used one at first but did not like it. I used a rotary Milwaukee buffer. Do not use a grinder they spin too fast!

Example of Material needed:
Wool type pad- heavy removal.
Foam pads polish/glaze
Assorted cutting/polishing, and glaze material
High number (Meguires) more abrasive. I can take pics for steps when doing the other side.

This is only a sample, may be dependant on how bad paint is... However I believe that this paint was bad ;)

This is what I did/used for this practice session. I may try something else on other side.
wash car
remove and tree sap/bug tar ;)
7-FRESH wool pad
4-Fresh wool pad (New/different pad recommended)
1-Fresh foam pad

I will explain and take photos next go around.

Attachments

• b3.jpg
    b3.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 104
  • b4.jpg
    b4.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 97
  • b5.jpg
    b5.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 97
  • b1.jpg
    b1.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
WOW! That looks great. Nice job for sure! Just like Miyagi say, "Vax on Righta Han! Vax off Lefta Han!"

asinor

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tulsa, OK
High number (Meguires) more abrasive

Not entirely accurate. Please check the product literature for any cleaners, polishes, waxes, etc that you use from any vendor.

We exclusively use the Meguiars professional products on our inventory.

We generally use
1. 6 Cleaner Wax
2. 26 HiTech Yellow Wax
3. 9 Swirl remover

in that order on good paint that doesn't need a polish.

If it has been recently washed and waxed and just needs a wipe down (dust, fingerprints, etc) we use:
66 Quick Detailer

If it needs polishing, we pay our painter to do it. I'd be willing to try on my bronco paint, it needs to be painted anyway, so screwing up doesn't really matter.

www.sinorprestigeauto.com

For my 2007 Corvette daily driver, I have switched to their consumer line of products for their ease of use and cost since it gets done considerably more than the inventory.

OP
OP
77bronco_ed

77bronco_ed

Bronco Guru
I believe I put up a disclaimer... I am not a professional. I am not familar with all of the
"Meguiars professional products"

Perhaps I should have said "high number rating"

The items I am using are of the Mirror glaze brand... The numbers I refer to are on the cut scale on the front of the bottle. Which is accurate. The numbers I mentioned are probably geared toward consumers since we need it spelled out for us.

0-10 scale Heavy cut 10 /Light cut 0

#7 rating = Medium -cut cleaner
#4 rating= Ultra finishing Polish
#1 rating= Machine Glaze

Again... I used this on heavily oxidized bad paint.

The items in previous post would not work for me as they relate to waxes and swirl removers.

Painters supply provides professional products as well as consumer.

This should help regarding any inaccuracies
"The information here is only intended for reading purposes and should not be considered fact, please consult your local professional for products and services related to restoring automotive paint"

"Use at your own risk"

OP
OP
77bronco_ed

77bronco_ed

Bronco Guru
WOW! That looks great. Nice job for sure! Just like Miyagi say, "Vax on Righta Han! Vax off Lefta Han!"

Hmmm "Vax on Righta Han! Vax off Lefta Han!"
That may take a couple days/weeks... It was tough just holding up the electric polisher for 90 minutes ;)

OP
OP
77bronco_ed

77bronco_ed

Bronco Guru
Now just get another slot wheel and you are set!

I have them now but... now I need to get a slight lift so that the tires do not rub.

I found that I can not afford to keep 3 Broncos, going to rub out the red truck and put it up for sale so I can get the others on the road.

Attachments

• b1.jpg
    b1.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 30

Millar

Contributor
Loc.
Birmingham
I want to practice a bit before I finally buff out my red truck.

Can't hurt the paint on the green truck, it is already thin. Amazing what a little buffing can do...

Heck I am going to do the whole thing. Decals were already shot on the hood. You can see by the doors and bottom of fender what it looked like. and... this was rather quick.

That looks fantastic!

Millar

Dark Knight

Loc.
Youngstown Ohio
Not entirely accurate. Please check the product literature for any cleaners, polishes, waxes, etc that you use from any vendor.

We exclusively use the Meguiars professional products on our inventory.

We generally use
1. 6 Cleaner Wax
2. 26 HiTech Yellow Wax
3. 9 Swirl remover

in that order on good paint that doesn't need a polish.

If it has been recently washed and waxed and just needs a wipe down (dust, fingerprints, etc) we use:
66 Quick Detailer

If it needs polishing, we pay our painter to do it. I'd be willing to try on my bronco paint, it needs to be painted anyway, so screwing up doesn't really matter.

www.sinorprestigeauto.com

For my 2007 Corvette daily driver, I have switched to their consumer line of products for their ease of use and cost since it gets done considerably more than the inventory.

Just curious on why you would use the swirl remover last. The whole idea ofcorrecting paint is to remove the swirls first and then protect your work with a high quality sealant or wax.