• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

ammeter going crazy

OP
OP
EB Passed down

EB Passed down

Loc.
Jacksonville
I am trying to digest all that wonderful stuff you just said. I put my new switch in and it didn't fix anything. I don't have a lights wiring diagram for the bronco. On the switch d1 and d2 were getting power when the switch was off, key off. I tried looking for the same color wires out of the switch at the lights but either 42 years of dirt is too much or they're different colors. I know right now I have headlights put no turn signals, tail lights or marker lights. I fiddled with different wires here and there and d2 doesn't seem to be hot anymore but d1 is. I'm trying to wrap my head around whether 2 wires are rubbed together sending power the wrong way to the switch or how the d1 terminal is hot with 2 different switches. Help please electrically challenged!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
When you say "hot" you mean physically hot, correct? Or are you speaking of hot, as in it has 12 volts as checked with a volt-meter?
I figure you mean hot, as in temperature, but wanted to make sure.

With no lights, you got some more checkin' (opposite of 'splainin' :) ) to do.
Try some more major connections first. Such as disconnecting the dimmer switch plug on the floor. Then unplug the brake light switch up under the dash on the pedal rod. And the square-4 plug up there in the driver's side corner of the firewall in the engine compartment. Should be a little bit of a mess there, but it's the only plug like it at that point. It's the main connection to the rear harness.

See what those three things do.

Paul
Paul

OP
OP
EB Passed down

EB Passed down

Loc.
Jacksonville
I did the 4 wire square 1 under the hood and the dimmer switch. I'll try the brake pedal 1 tomorrow. The d1 and d2 were hot, temp, and 12v. Oh and I also pulled all my fuses before this and nothing changed. I printed some wiring diagrams so I can try to trace and unplug. Thanks.

OP
OP
EB Passed down

EB Passed down

Loc.
Jacksonville
I did the 4 wire square 1 under the hood and the dimmer switch. I'll try the brake pedal 1 tomorrow. The d1 and d2 were hot, temp, and 12v. Oh and I also pulled all my fuses before this and nothing changed. I printed some wiring diagrams so I can try to trace and unplug. Thanks.

miikee73

Shadetree Guru
Loc.
Aloha
Woo Hoo...Gotta love those Ahh Haa moments. especially when they don't cost you money!

Joker11

Loc.
Yuma, Arizona
Look on the BRIGHT side. Now you have a new headlight switch. One less thing to troubleshoot. Lol

Now go post in the other thread where someone asked what you need to modify with a body lift. You can tell them to make the horn wire longer to avoid wearing it out and causing a short!!!!!!!